TechSpot

These guys make it possible for everyone to enjoy free to play games

By Shawn Knight
Nov 2, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Although it may seem like developers are getting the shaft when it comes to free to play games, the model is actually a win-win for gamers and developers alike. Unlike a demo, free to play titles give players the full...

Read more
  2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,347   +397

Wow....that is just INSANE. $16,000 over less than 2 years for a Facebook game? And one that he doesn't even play anymore? Someone needs to see a shrink.

"There's a sucker born every minute." P. T. Barnum
  3. BlueDrake

BlueDrake TS Enthusiast Posts: 206   +51

Care to look at Korea? Nexon was the general driving force of F2P, especially when it came to North America. Sure some I'm sure dabbled with the system, but when others seen it's success? No surprise that everyone jumped on board, especially the general casual game genre.

Sub-based was the norm until F2P made a huge impact. There are people who spend hundreds, even in black market forums over game items. Be them hacked (duped) items or something really one of a kind, there's always someone wanting to buy them. To then fill out multiple characters.. you can see it becoming a huge business. Then include the actual in-game bonuses of extra gold or exp, mainly in the MMO market of course it's thousands spent.

You see people easily spend $100+ for things. I'd direct you to Nexon in North America, for the general high price of things. There's been things from $1 to $100 and people buy it, without even so much as a second glance. I'll admit my own personal spending was high, nearly $5,000 but that was across multiple accounts for 6 years. So that's more of a general casual to someone, unlike those who would spend that in a few months time.
  4. Rich and stupid
    well isn't he just ripe for the taking
    oh wait he all ready has been
  5. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

Better hobby than drinking, one spender says. Probably so. Alcohol kills or injures a lot more people, often not even the drinker, than gaming does. If he can afford it, why not?
  6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,539   +301

$16k over a year and a half isn't much when you are pulling in $450k. Even if he 'only' made $200k its 8% of his income, as long as he's able to pay other bills I don't see the harm. Its something he enjoys doing, who are we to judge.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  7. Martan

Martan TS Rookie

Yea, sounds about right. I can spend hundred a night drinking at a bar without a single regret the next morning. Well except for the hangovers.

Why would I care for a couple of dollars for some gems?
  8. Martan

Martan TS Rookie

Adding to that, I am no rich, just in comparison, paying for these games of ten, twenty, fifty bucks really is not a big deal. It really depends on your income though, I would have spent quite a bit if I had a six figure salary. lol

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.