ThinkGeek.com is shutting down, consolidating with parent company GameStop

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Recap: Hot Topic made an offer for ThinkGeek’s parent company, Geeknet, in mid-2015 but GameStop swooped in with a better offer at the 11th hour and secured the acquisition. This is why you’ve seen more geek culture toys and collectibles at GameStop retail stores in recent years.

Geek culture retailer ThinkGeek is shutting down its online store, consolidating its product lines with parent company GameStop.

ThinkGeek.com’s last day of operation will be July 2, 2019. All orders placed by this date will be shipped and fulfilled by ThinkGeek’s warehouse staff although due to its 50 percent off sale (use code: movingday), don’t be surprised if you experience a long delay in processing and shipping times.

ThinkGeek has more than 40 brick and mortar stores in the US that will remain open, the company said. Furthermore, you’ll be able to find a curated selection of items typically found on ThinkGeek.com via the ThinkGeek section at more than 3,700 GameStop stores.

Also worth noting is that all sales made on or after June 13, 2019, are final. No returns will be accepted. Furthermore, you’ll have until June 30, 2019, to redeem your Geek Points on ThinkGeek.com. Any unused points will be converted and e-mailed over in the form of a coupon that can be used at GameStop. Unused ThinkGeek gift cards can still be redeemed at retail ThinkGeek stores, in-store at GameStop and online at GameStop.com.

Permalink to story.

Software ETC.

Babbagges

Electronic Boutique...

These stores were all at their best back in the 90's when there actually were "console wars" and the competition between console makers was cutthroat. Now, there are no "console wars". Releases are timed by corporate execs so as not to conflict with other systems and due to the fact more unworthy people have access to more credit, people can buy all the systems by putting themselves in credit debt.

But the problem with these stores is that the consumer has so many options as to where they can buy game consoles and peripherals.

Walmart, Best Buy, Toys R Us and Amazon have made store to home delivery so quick and reliable that Gamestops just aren't necessary anymore. And then there's Ddigital downloadss like STEAM, XBOX LIVE and PS Online.

I personally think Gamestop is worthwhile due to the fact they specialize in console games, peripherals and game-related-toys...but the problem is that the free market is killing them .

Beyond trading used game disks they have virtually no staying power. Didn't work for Funcoland either.

Software ETC.

Babbagges

Electronic Boutique...

These stores were all at their best back in the 90's when there actually were "console wars" and the competition between console makers was cutthroat. Now, there are no "console wars". Releases are timed by corporate execs so as not to conflict with other systems and due to the fact more unworthy people have access to more credit, people can buy all the systems by putting themselves in credit debt.

But the problem with these stores is that the consumer has so many options as to where they can buy game consoles and peripherals.

Walmart, Best Buy, Toys R Us and Amazon have made store to home delivery so quick and reliable that Gamestops just aren't necessary anymore. And then there's Ddigital downloadss like STEAM, XBOX LIVE and PS Online.

I personally think Gamestop is worthwhile due to the fact they specialize in console games, peripherals and game-related-toys...but the problem is that the free market is killing them .

Beyond trading used game disks they have virtually no staying power. Didn't work for Funcoland either.
I feel like if these kind of stores want to stay open then need to do something extra. I have a place called GameTrade near me that is just like GameStop except without the toys and stuff. Oh, they also have Consoles/TVs setup in the back with the ability to pay per hour/day. They seem to be going strong.

Funcoland, now there's a name I haven't heard in a looong time. Miss that place, and the tower/counter mountain of Gameboy/game gear games ha ha ha...
Funcoland made it seem like trading in games or consoles would net you serious returns.

Their commercial literally showed a guy with a hand full of cash.

The reality: They weren't giving you anywhere near 30% what you paid for a game and you weren't gonna see anywhere near 50% what you paid for a console.

Electronic Boutique...
Now there's a blast from the past. I always spent far too much money at those shops, as I'd end up getting the main item I wanted, plus lots of used items and unnecessary junk. Now, with the likes of Steam, I don't succumb at all... wait, what I am saying?! Steam Summer Sales! Yeah, I've not changed one bit...

Now there's a blast from the past. I always spent far too much money at those shops, as I'd end up getting the main item I wanted, plus lots of used items and unnecessary junk. Now, with the likes of Steam, I don't succumb at all... wait, what I am saying?! Steam Summer Sales! Yeah, I've not changed one bit...

Electronic Boutique had very exotic, expensive stuff. Aside from import shops locally, walking into an EB was like walking into the future of gaming.

So the stores will remain open, and a limited number of items will be at gamestop, but they are shutting down the website, which has the same selection as the stores with far less upkeep and grated customer base?

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck. This sounds incredibly fishy.

This place had less than 50 stores and it gets a front page article? Ok, now I know something is wrong...

The brick and mortar stores aren't shutting down, it's only the website. And yes, the website shutting down is a HUGE deal, because it's been one of the most recognizable outlets for 20 years. It's the end of an era. Early 2000s Thinkgeek was absolutely amazing, they had some of the most unique products around.

Then big business poked its nose in, they got bought out, the store was flooded with Dr. Who, Marvel, Big Bang Theory and other pointless popular bollocks that people are into for some reason, and it lost its entire identity, its whole reason for being. It just became like any other "nerd culture" store or comics shop. RIP the "true" Thinkgeek.

Last edited:
It is a huge deal though, you're just out of the loop. Just because you don't know about them and you weren't there at the beginning doesn't mean it's not a huge deal for the rest of us.

Back