Thinking about overhauling my PC for Christmas

Hey im new here and want your opinions on the hardware I have chosen for the build I will be doing for Christmas :D

MB: Asus Sabertooth X58

CPU: Intel i7 930

Memory: Patriot Viper II 6GB 1600MHz CAS 8-8-8-24

Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

i already have a Antec 900 a 650w power supply and a GTX 260 i was hoping to either add a second 260 or wait for the GTX 570's and grab 2 of them

what do you guys think overall, any suggestions?

And thanks :D

If you are going to add a second graphics card, the 650W power supply might be sufficient, depending on its quality, but most 650W PSUs would be marginal. Although I'm sure nVidia is conservative in their recommendations, see this list for some guidance: http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html. IMO you should upgrade your power supply accordingly.

My power supply is a Antec TruePower New Series TP-650 (i cant link it apparently)

I was told it was pretty good by the guy selling it to because it has quite a good amp rating

but do you think i could run the system i listed above with either 2 GTX 260's or 2 GTX 570's when they come out, I will probably get the 2 570's as they will be out at Christmas i believe, i think they are around the same power consuption as the current GTX 460's

could i do it? :)

Your power supply is listed on nVidia's website as being able to power two GTX 460s so it appears so.

that's great but what about two 570's I know is hard to judge now so just pretend they are 460's would I be able to have them with my psu, the configuration doesn't seem to be listed on the website, but does that mean it wont work?

thank you for your help kind sir :D

The website probably just hasn't been updated with the new cards plus it takes time to test all those PSUs with those cards. IF the power consumption of the GTX 570s is the same as the 460s, then your PSU should work. We'll have to wait and see.

Well the rumors were wrong the 570's are not as power efficient as the 460's but in any case, you think it would work, my psu seems to have enough amps but does it have the watts? (650w with 4 12v rails at 25amps per rail)

No, I'm not saying it will work for sure because I don't know. I said, "IF" the power consumption was the same it should work. If it turns out that the power consumption is higher, then it might not.

I notice that Nvidia has posted power supplies for dual 580s and the minimum seems to be 900W to 1000W so I'm thinking a 650W won't be enough for dual 570s.

Well the rumors were wrong the 570's are not as power efficient as the 460's but in any case, you think it would work, my psu seems to have enough amps but does it have the watts? (650w with 4 12v rails at 25amps per rail)

I wouldn't recommend it, according to this Guru3D article they recommend at least an 850+ Watt PSU for SLI with a high-end system and maybe even more if you plan on OCing anything. You should however be fine with just one GTX 570 and that PSU.

one gtx 570 is faster than 2 gtx 260s anyway so why go with 2 gtx 570s? what do you game at resolution wise cause it could be major overkill.

Back