TechSpot

Thinking about upgrading...

By Master Toddy
May 28, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm thinking about upgrading my system, but I'm not sure what I want. I'm either upgrading my speakers or my graphics card. My current speakers are the cheap ( but decent) Cambridge Soundworks 4.1 surround sound speakers. My current graphics card is a GeForce 3 Ti200. I was thinking about either upgrading to the Logitech Z-680 5.1 speakers (to compliment my Sound Blaster Audigy 2) or the Radeon 9700 Pro. Both are about the same price, and I only have the money to get one. So, which should I get? Ahhh.... I hate hard decisions.
  2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

Forget about upgrading speakers and go for a home hi-fi setup from a reputable local dealer. PC hi-fi is a con and not worth it, IMHO.

I would go for the graphics card. Never saw a GPU upgrade that didn't do some good.

And RAM, too. HDD space if you have a broadband connection.

But then its also nice to add some new feature through a PCI card as well.
  3. MooktaKiNG

MooktaKiNG TS Rookie

I would upgrade the graphics card.

yeh, you can notice a BIG difference when upgrading graphics cards.

Also 4.1 is still pretty nice.

I'm not a music freak, i only have two speaker (not good ones) on my onboard soundcard :D:D
  4. aoj145

aoj145 TS Rookie Posts: 90

I personally didn't care for the Logitech speakers you mentioned.

If you're going to upgrade from 4.1 I'd wait and get a decent 6.1 system.

Creative Labs has a $75 rebate on the Megaworks 6.1 THX 600 watts system with free shipping so they would cost $325. I have these speakers and they rock whether I'm playing games, watching DVD's or listening to MP3's. I've personally been very impressed with these speakers. Runs really well with the Audigy 2 card. Check out their website.

Of course I also have the ATI Radeon 9700 and it's a pretty sweet video card.

Tough choice....
  5. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

If you're playing lots of games lately > Graphics card

If you're into DVD movies and mp3 music > Speakers
  6. sw123

sw123 TS Rookie Posts: 752

Ok

definetly get a ATI Radeon 9700. They asre like..the BEST! Pro I think might not be as good as original, but If you want both, save up. What is your computer specs?
  7. DaProffessaT34

DaProffessaT34 TS Rookie Posts: 50

Well if your a gamer i would upgrade the graphics.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.