TechSpot

Thinking of swapping CPU

By Tenacha Khan
Dec 14, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. (EDIT: Changed E2168 to E2160, cheers captain)

Hello all,

I am thinking of swapping my cpu, I currently have a P4 3.2ghz installed and was going to swap it to a Pentium Dual E2160 1.88Ghz. I happen to have that second cpu knocking about.

I see my current cpu benches at 500 and the E2160 benches at just over 1000

I aint used my computer for over a year and wanted to know will it make much of a difference taking the rest of my ststem into account.

Also, if I am better off swapping, is it a simple case of whipping the old one out and putting the new one in, or will I have to change any settings/drivers....or am I likely to fid any problems with it?

The rest of my system is
    Asus P5N-T Deluxe
    BFG 8800 GTX
    2x 1GB Corsair 1ghz DDR2

2. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,703   +1,886

3. Tenacha Khan

Tenacha Khan TS Rookie Topic Starter

My apologies, its an E2160, those 8s and 0s look pretty similar, should have really rechecked after not seeing it earlier.

4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,703   +1,886

I used the search term "P5N-T Deluxe", these results came up http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

They suggest the E2160 is plug and play if your BIOS version is "0205" or later.

This is a rather early revision of the BIOS, as some later ones will run 45nm parts.

No drivers would have to be changed, but if you don't have this BIOS, you will obviously have to update it.

5. Tenacha Khan

Tenacha Khan TS Rookie Topic Starter

cheers captain, ill give it a go and see what difference it makes.