TechSpot

This annoying popup from messenger service

By Joawro
May 22, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I keep on getting this weird pop-up from messenger service. I have tried scanning with all spyware and virus scanners I have but it's still showing up after a complete scan.

Here is a picture if it helps you recognize. Click on it if it is too small for you to see.
    [​IMG]
  2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,059   +84 Staff Member

So disable the messenger service :).

Start > Run > services.msc > Right click "Messenger" > Properties. Change the startup type to disabled and stop the service.
  3. Joawro

Joawro TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 72

Yes! An easy fix for once. Thanks for the help. I haven't seen any of the pop-ups since.
  4. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +36

An FYI on the Messenger Service:

This Service is designed for the Administrator of a Network to communicate with the other system on the Network. It IS a legitimate Service.

However, it is unethically usedusually to trick a user into clicking on something to "fix" what is suppose to be a problem and is intentionally configured to appear it is a Microsoft Windows 'warning'.

Disabling it and stopping the Service does no harm to your computer.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.