This iPhone 7 case brings back the 3.5mm headphone jack

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The outrage that some have exhibited over Apple’s decision to remove the 3.5mm headphone jack from the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus likely isn’t going away anytime soon. The Cupertino-based company does supply a Lightning-to-3.5mm adapter with each phone sold but in reality, it’s just something else to leave behind or misplace during a busy day.

What’s more, the adapter prevents you from charging your device while headphones are plugged in.

If you’ve found yourself facing these circumstances lately, a project currently seeking funding on Indiegogo may be worth a look.

The Fuze case is, well, a protective case for your iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus. What’s unique about it is that it reintroduces the 3.5mm headphone jack, thus eliminating the need to carry around a dongle or adapter. It also has a Lightning port through which you can presumably charge your phone while listening to music and an integrated battery (2,400mAh for the iPhone 7 case and 3,600mAh for the iPhone 7 Plus version).

It’s worth noting that the images of the device on the Indiegogo page differ a bit from what’s shown in the video above. Its creators say the original design was to have an extended base where the 3.5mm jack would be stored but after prototyping and testing, they decided it was too bulky and unattractive. Instead, backers will receive the case shown in the still images which measures 5mm thick and weighs 28 grams.

A pledge of $49 at the early bird tier will get you on the list for a Fuze case for your iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus. The flexible funding campaign has a month left and has raised a little over $2,600 of its $60,000 goal thus far.

Permalink to story.

Seems like one of those ideas that you say "why didn't anyone think of this before?" Especially Apple. I didn't watch the video, but it seems ingenious to have the case connect to the phone's port and then offer the port plus the headphone jack. That way everyone is happy and Apple could have made a bundle by selling the case instead of a set of ugly adapters

Steve Jobs will be spinning in his grave over this blatant disregard for the benevolent vision from Apple by its removal of the useless headphone jack. This is 2016, only Luddites use a 3.5 mm headphone jack. It says so in Steve Jobs will.

Pure genius, this company is going to make a crap load of money off Apple's refusal to listen to what people want. Because after all, when life gives you Apple products you simply create a new accessory to over come it's hardware limitations... Or something like that.

I've had iPhone 7 Plus 156GB since DAY ONE and you know how many times I've reached for the included adapter?

ZERO.

My LG TONE PRO headphones provide my exercise listening and my car connects directly to the phone if I wanna use it for entertainment.

Headphone jack is DEAD - cause Apple said so.

I've had iPhone 7 Plus 156GB since DAY ONE and you know how many times I've reached for the included adapter?

ZERO.

My LG TONE PRO headphones provide my exercise listening and my car connects directly to the phone if I wanna use it for entertainment.

Headphone jack is DEAD - cause Apple said so.
Ha ha. I think you did not use your dongle, because you have lost it. That will be the case for most after a short while.

Also:

"Now where is my other ear pod. I know I left it here on the couch. Ah its OK, I'll just listen in mono."

Ha ha. I think you did not use your dongle, because you have lost it. That will be the case for most after a short while.

Also:

"Now where is my other ear pod. I know I left it here on the couch. Ah its OK, I'll just listen in mono."

It's still on the box - on my shelf - next to my Xbox controllers.

107% of their goal at time of posting, looks like people really want a headphone jack

Wouldn't surprise me to find out Apple left off the 3.5 to save money & then invented these little companies to up-sell "fixes" to their own deliberate deficiencies- lol. Win/win.

Wouldn't surprise me to find out Apple left off the 3.5 to save money & then invented these little companies to up-sell "fixes" to their own deliberate deficiencies- lol. Win/win.

The mere fact the phone is WATER RESISTANT... I could give a damn about the headphone jack.

I don't even use corded headphones till I go on an airplane - and the adapter would actually help considering my favorite earbuds are a bit too short.

I don't swim with my mobile so water-resistant isn't a priority for me ;)

I've only broken one (& it was in a billfold type case) by unknowingly dropping it from an armload of stuff I was carrying to the car & backing over it!

... Of whose "goal" - WTH are we talkin' about? o.0

Wouldn't surprise me

It's quite-possibly true... When it comes to Apple, it's probably all true - as they're THE worst. Some (middle, or something) management came up with the "brilliant idea" of how to cut-costs and they spin this massive web (of lies), about how it's a (new) revolution and all that. Literally, they do it a dozen times a year (for everything); dunno how any of is even relevant, @all, meh.

P.S.
The mere fact the phone is WATER RESISTANT...
I don't swim with my mobile so water-resistant isn't a priority for me ;)
^^ Yeah, same here (ffs. :))

*Too bad it's not *****-proof! ;dP

It was left out to not have to build watertight headphone jacks that cost a lot more than the old standard they had before. To get the water resistant rating, they opted to drop the jack rather than redesign a jack. Faster, simpler and most of all CHEAPER.

... Of whose "goal" - WTH are we talkin' about? o.0

It's quite-possibly true... When it comes to Apple, it's probably all true - as they're THE worst. Some (middle, or something) management came up with the "brilliant idea" of how to cut-costs and they spin this massive web (of lies), about how it's a (new) revolution and all that. Literally, they do it a dozen times a year (for everything); dunno how any of is even relevant, @all, meh.

P.S.^^ Yeah, same here (ffs. :))

*Too bad it's not *****-proof! ;dP

If you'd had any idea how many phones shorted out in the rain - or how many children took their parent's phones and flushed them - or how many table spills have destroyed phones with milk and coffee...

And the irrational hatred towards Apple seems to continue here. Why are people so upset that other people are buying iPhones?

As an Apple stockholder I love it when people buy their overpriced Chinese made junk. I just wouldn't buy any myself. :)

Back