This new electric bus from Proterra can travel up to 350 miles on a single charge

midian182

Staff member

Proterra has been making electric buses for many years now, and a number of its zero-emission vehicles are part of the public transport system in several US locations. But the company’s latest design – the Catalyst E2 series – is pretty special: it can travel up to 350 miles on a single charge.

Proterra showed off the E2 bus at the American Public Transit Association’s annual meeting. With a battery configuration that can vary between 440 and 660 kWH, the buses can achieve a nominal range of 194 to 350 miles.

During testing at Michelin's Laurens Proving Grounds last month, the company claims the E2 managed to run for more than 600 miles when fully charged. The vehicle’s light frame and regenerative braking system helps it achieve these impressive distances.

The E2’s range means it could run virtually any bus route for an entire day without needing to stop for a recharge. "Proterra's primary goal has always been to create a purpose-built, high-performance electric vehicle that can serve every single transit route in the United States," said Proterra CEO Ryan Popple.

As is often the case with cutting-edge tech, the price of the Catalyst E2 may put off some potential customers. While diesel-powered buses of the same passenger capacity cost roughly $300,000, this zero-emissions model starts at around $800,000.

That price tag may sound pretty eye-watering, but Proterra says the buses’ cost is offset by a number of factors. Compared to diesel, compressed natural gas (CNG) and diesel-hybrid buses, the E2 vehicles have 30 percent fewer parts and up to 75 percent fewer brake repairs. And with subsidies available in certain cases, along with no fuel costs and less required maintenance, Proterra says that the E2s can save operators more than $450,000 over a 12-year period when compared to other types of buses.

Passengers should be able to ride the Catalyst E2 buses sometime in 2017.

Permalink to story.

Just make it self driving, too. These maniac bus drivers in Seattle have almost hit my crossing crosswalk down town (green walk light) more than once. They just honk, and run right through the red light.

"no fuel costs." no fuel costs? is this government accounting? brake expenses? let me tell you about brakes. compared to just about everything else on a vehicle, brakes are cheap. I'd like to see what a replacement battery or flux capacitor for this bus would run.
not to mention that even the makers (certainly optomistic) claims of cost savings over 10 yrs doesn't offset it's initial expense. but I guess if it's subsidized enough by money from the heavens(same place the energy comes from to pwr this thing?), sure, why not? my kids didn't need that future anyway.
as for busses being a threat, yeah, I second that. I was nearly run down while in london by one of those double decker numbers. You might not believe this, but they drive on the wrong side of the street over there, and I made an error. heard the guy actually accelerate the thing when he saw me in his path. I got a kick out of that part though. he must have thought he had me.....not today buddy.

My concern would be tire wear, which tends to be higher in electric vehicles, because of their weight. Apart from that, a point to point medium distance run (200 miles one way, approximately) on an electric bus would likely make it profitable. City runs would almost certainly not be as profitable, as tire and brake wear would be considerably higher than on runs involving start-stop driving. Would love to see the operating / test data on both the 35 and 40 ft versions. It would be interesting to check out.

Funny that we have almost come full circle on buses and in some cities the old overhead electric wires are coming back as well. In Europe they have trucks that use the overhead wires on their interstates with great success. Tire issues are solvable (kevlar bands like those used in "the beast" for POTUS". I'm not sure I ready for a self driving bus, at least not until they get ALL the kinks worked out with the cars, but I can see the potential although some of those "pods" they keep talking about might make a lot more sense ......

Back