This pocket-sized diamond wafer could store up to 25 exabytes

Tudor Cibean

Staff
TL;DR: A team from Japan has created the largest diamond storage device ever, able to hold up to 25 exabytes. Although intended for use as quantum memory, the 2-inch diamond wafer is notable for being usable even at room temperature. The company manufacturing it plans to commercialize it next year.

Japanese researchers, alongside a company specializing in industrial jewel components, have developed a new method of mass-producing 2-inch diamond wafers. Dubbed Kenzan Diamonds, these could be used to store up to 25 exabytes of data, which is 25 million terabytes or the equivalent of 1 billion Blu-Ray discs.

Unfortunately, these diamond wafers won't be replacing the SSDs in our PCs anytime soon as they act as quantum memory. It uses a defect in diamond, called the nitrogen-vacancy center, to store a quantum bit.

This defect allows researchers to read out the specific spin of an electron. It's notable because these diamond qubits can be used even at room temperature, not just under the cryogenic conditions that quantum computers usually require.

Previously, a diamond wafer with the necessary purity for quantum computing applications was limited to just a 4mm square. Attempting to manufacture bigger wafers would introduce higher levels of nitrogen impurities, rendering them useless.

Researchers from Saga University teamed up with Adamant Namiki Precision Jewel Co. to solve this problem. Using a process called step flow growth, they grow the diamonds on a sapphire substrate coated with an iridium film. They claim this new method makes it cheaper to produce the diamonds while minimizing nitrogen absorption, keeping it below three parts per billion.

The company plans to introduce Kenzan Diamond wafers commercially next year, and it is already working on developing 4-inch wafers.

Permalink to story.

Without fast and proven read/write + persistence technologies, it amounts to nothing more than science fiction, and a wishful thinking.

everything in our modern world was at some point science fiction
Well, this one is old. Use of crystals for data storage has been in sci-fi for some 70+ years, and not much changed there, it's all still just a theory.

In movies, we could see those all the way back to 1956 film Forbidden Planet.

Last edited:
Well, this one is old. Use of crystals for data storage has been in sci-fi for some 70+ years, and not much changed there, it's all still just a theory.

In movies, we could see those all the way back to 1956 film Forbidden Planet.
From the Article
The company manufacturing it plans to commercialize it next year.

We don't need 25 exabytes just yet - but this means there is hope for middle ground a 1 to 10 Petabyte device .
With a 1GBps connection wouldn't take too long to fill a 1PB disc
Wander how well Windows could handles a 25EB disc - with a trillion files - probably best with more than 8GB of memory
Imagine it chugged away in the back ground indexing it all

You couldn't consume 25 EB - maybe 12K 16bit colour full HD 9 channel audio
10 Pb would make you nearly independent of internet except for game servers - for most Movies, TVs, Home Video , Manga, comics, books , Music

Last edited:
We don't need 25 exabytes just yet - but this means there is hope for middle ground a 1 to 10 Petabyte device .
With a 1GBps connection wouldn't take too long to fill a 1PB disc
Wander how well Windows could handles a 25EB disc - with a trillion files - probably best with more than 8GB of memory
Imagine it chugged away in the back ground indexing it all

You couldn't consume 25 EB - maybe 12K 16bit colour full HD 9 channel audio
10 Pb would make you nearly independent of internet except for game servers - for most Movies, TVs, Home Video , Manga, comics, books , Music
I can see that. I remember my first 1TB drive and I did not want for capacity for years but it feels like for the last few years I've been playing cat and mouse with storage. I have a 16TB(4, 8TB drives in raid 0) and I've been considering upgrading that to 4, 20TB drives in Raid 5, but only having on parity dis makes me uncomfortable. But when I built it I thought "it'll be years before I have to worry about space" but I've been playing cat and mouse cleaning up the drive every couple months now.

With 8k being a thing a thing now I can't image I'd get more than a year out of 60TB's of storage before I have to start deleting stuff.

1 TB is still more than enough for me...
I'm not a hoarding one myself either. Ever since net speeds are above 1 MB I only keep my personal files, everything else I can get online, I don't keep in my storage. But to everyone his own. I totally understand people who want more and more. I used to be that guy.

I hope TechSpot will track the progress of these diamond wafers and report on them again in a year if it pans out or not. We see so many articles (usually battery related :p) about cool new research, but we don't get any follow-up articles on whether or not it amounted to anything!

I hope TechSpot will track the progress of these diamond wafers and report on them again in a year if it pans out or not. We see so many articles (usually battery related :p) about cool new research, but we don't get any follow-up articles on whether or not it amounted to anything!

This is just another Holographic Storage hype-invasion replacement!

Remember this? I's never actually shipped:

https://www.engadget.com/2008-04-27...tapestry-300r-holographic-storage-soluti.html

I mean, if this is jut some lab experiment, then we're still over a decade away from repeating the pattern!"

If I saved a penny each time I read such eye-popping news about amazing storage inventions the last 15 years, I'd be able to buy 100 of the most expensive GPUs on the market right now!!

And a Learjet too!!

If I saved a penny each time I read such eye-popping news about amazing storage inventions the last 15 years, I'd be able to buy 100 of the most expensive GPUs on the market right now!!

And a Learjet too!!
So, you've read about 1,020,000,000 of such articles in the last 15 years? Assuming a cost of $2000 for each GPU and a cost of $10,000,000 for the Learjet (no idea if that's way too low or not).

If you're curious, that would require having read approximately 2.16219 of such articles every second for the past 15 years, assuming you never slept, ate, relieved yourself, or did anything else besides reading such articles. (15 years = 471,744,000 seconds, not accounting for leap years)

Last edited by a moderator:
So, you've read about 1,020,000,000 of such articles in the last 15 years? Assuming a cost of $2000 for each GPU and a cost of $10,000,000 for the Learjet (no idea if that's way too low or not).

If you're curious, that would require having read approximately 2.16219 of such articles every second for the past 15 years, assuming you never slept, ate, relieved yourself, or did anything else besides reading such articles. (15 years = 471,744,000 seconds, not accounting for leap years)
Yes

I did. Thanks for noticing!!

Back