TechSpot

This Vine video shows the failed SpaceX rocket landing in all its glory

By Shawn Knight
Jan 16, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. SpaceX CEO Elon Musk has published images and video of his company's Falcon 9 rocket attempting to land on a barge positioned in the Atlantic Ocean late last week. While the rocket did manage to find its target, it came...

Read more

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,559   +598

Pretty dang impressive they got that close!

DanUK, highlander84 and fimbles like this.
  3. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,679   +780

In the immortal words of Maxwell Smart "missed it by thaaaaaaat much"!

9Nails likes this.
  4. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Guru Posts: 305   +62

Add smaller boosters to actually stabilize it for the landing?

And where is that giant parachute too?

5. Alpha Gamer

Alpha Gamer TS Guru Posts: 330   +93

Michael Bay could learn a lot from this vid.

dividebyzero likes this.
  6. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,561   +2,368

Jimmy! Jimmy! I think we're coming in a bit to the left.

7. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

"Rockets are tricky"

highlander84 likes this.
  8. drjekelmrhyde

drjekelmrhyde TS Booster Posts: 201   +44

When did they hire Micheal Bay?

captaincranky likes this.
  9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,513   +2,056

Figuring out how to reuse a rocket is child's play as opposed to figuring out how to reuse your nuclear bomb after telling your enemy you want it back once it's done it's job.

10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,558   +2,900

Maybe they should use the nuclear bomb instead. Because if something can go wrong, it will and won't blow up.

11. highlander84

highlander84 TS Booster Posts: 103   +24

Absloutly amazing! IMO it's not a failure. It's a great first atempt!

Uncle Al and SirChocula like this.
  12. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,679   +780

Seriously speaking .... Space-X has and is developing new approaches (no pun intended) to so many technologies that we are probably going to see quite a bit of improvement to the entire space program. I would be interested to see how quickly they could develop and implement a maned moon landing. They are indeed one of the #1 innovators of the day and certainly not afraid to take a few risks ... we certainly could use a few dozen more companies like this!

13. Demonstarte how to not.

14. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,702   +1,886

Really! Just ask the Japanese about that.
    I would like to point out to all you Musk groupies, that every attempt is conceived using other people's talents, and financed with practically everybody else's money
    Actually, the US already has that technology http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_landing
    No, it would make them", the greatest innovators of their time, had they done it prior to 1969.

And always remember boys and girls, "you don't get the medal, unless you stick the landing"...:oops:

mosu likes this.
  15. captaincranky

And Elon Musk doesn't have to pay out social entitlements either, does he?

Besides, if Musk launched a moon mission on which everybody was killed, ,the tech reportage would still call it a "success".

As for the moon, we been there and done that, fifty years before the children here at TS, began to believe that Elon Musk invented science.

In the meantime, killing those who disagree with us and would harm us first, seems like an honest, respectable living if you ask me.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  16. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,561   +2,368

I'd like to know what possible gain is to be had over guns by interplanetary travel. That is, outside of establishing a DARPA-controlled death ray on the moon (in which case, how the hell is that cost effective?).

It isn't just honest. It's necessary. [Michael Bay soundtrack here]

17. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,155   +1,431

Now I finally know what "Close but no cigar" means :)

18. captaincranky

Well, what I take away from it is, "Elon Musk's failures burn brighter than his successes"....:oops:

Or, waxing metaphorically, one might say, "it's better to explode a rocket, than curse the darkness".

19. Skidmarksdeluxe

If actually surprised to see that all what remains from that Superfortress.

20. captaincranky

The Smithsonian also fell heir to the SR-71 which set the coast to coast, (LA to NYC), speed record. The plane was retired after that run. It was being kept at Dulles field, and then I heard they were going to butcher it and put it inside the A & S museum proper.

The thought of that having happened is so depressing, I'm afraid to research it.:(

21. Skidmarksdeluxe

There were a few SR-71's Blackbirds made but there was only one Enola Gay B29.

22. captaincranky

Well, to see that happen to either aircraft rises to the level of a crime.

That being said, the only thing that distinguishes the Enola Gay from pretty much any other "off the rack B-29", was its deadly mission. Many other B-29s even had nose art which was a quite a bit more lascivious. (Although much of it perhaps a bit too busty for my taste). I do think they had to mod the bomb release rack due to the size of the weapon.

OTOH, an SR-71's average mission consisted of checking up on the Russians to see how they were doing, while the pilot and REO thumbed their noses at the Russian SAMS that could never quite catch up to them...:)

A cold war game of high stakes cat and mouse, as it were. Good fun.

23. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,185   +528

At least it was an awesome failure and no one got hurt!

24. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,558   +2,900

"awesome failure"

Placing bets on the loser are we? lol

That's borderline to describing both ends of the stick. Which end are we describing again?