TechSpot

Thoughts on a new PC I might put together

By eyeballs00
Dec 20, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,846

Looks pretty good to me. Sort of strange to have a consumer desktop board with Two NICs however....Great for a NAS/Homesever but not really needed for desktop use.
  2. LukeDJ

LukeDJ TechSpot Addict Posts: 414   +112

Looks alright, a few suggestions though.

You might want to go with a standard ATX sized motherboard instead of the micro-ATX one you have chosen, considering the sized case you have chosen. An ATX motherboard will give you more features and more room to install PCI express components.

I recommend going for the i5-3570K over the i5-3470, as it will give you the ability to overclock if you desire, and leave overclocking as a possibility in the future if you don't right away.

If you do go for the 3570K, I would recommend a Z77 motherboard, as it allows for overclocking. If you choose to stay with the 3470, and choose not to overclock, then a H77 board will be adequate.

Getting an aftermarket CPU cooler will allow better overclocking and give better temperatures overall. Something like the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo will do just fine.

I assume that you will be gaming with this build. If you are going to be gaming at a 1080p resolution, spending a little bit extra on a GTX 660 Ti or an HD 7870 will give you a bit more performance. However, the GTX 660 will do just fine.

BTW, what Hard drive and/or SSD configuration where you looking at? And what exactly will the build be used for?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.