Three months of BSODs, no answers

Lloydy

Hey everyone, I've been having the same BSOD ever since I got my new computer in November last year.

After repeatedly getting the 'A clock interval was not recieved on a secondary processor' BSOD a million times, I decided to send my processor back to ebuyer who said it was faulty and sent me a new one. I've also reinstalled windows completely as well as take out all parts to clean them.

Unfortunately this still hasnt solved my problem out like I'd hoped. The bluescreens are less frequent but still a nuisance when I'm trying to do my university work. It also crashes randomly sometimes without a bluescreen error.

I found a post here and read about running my minidump files through Microsoft's debugger but the setup just failed so I find myself begging for someone to take a look at my minidump files and potentially find me an answer to this frustrating problem.

The crashes typically occur when doing very small tasks like clicking a button in 3DS max, links on firefox. It seems to happen when it's loading something within an application its more likely to crash. People I've spoke to about it think it could be the motherboard but I've updated the bios. I'll also include my system hardware in this post:

Intel Core i7 2600k 3.4GHz Socket 1155 8MB Cache
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 1.5V Non-ECC Unbuffered
Asus GTX 570 DirectCU II 1280MB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
Asus P8H67-M EVO R3 H67 1155 Socket 8 Channel HD Audio mATX Motherboard

And heres the problem signature in case that helps:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 101
BCP1: 0000000000000019
BCP2: 0000000000000000
BCP3: FFFFF88002F65180
BCP4: 0000000000000002
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• LloydyMinidump.zip
    49.8 KB · Views: 2
What is the make and model of your hard drives? Are you over-clocking? The minidumps are extremely vague, ntoskrnl.exe with no BUG Check Screen. Have you checked the hard drive for errors?

What is the make and model of your hard drives? Are you over-clocking? The minidumps are extremely vague, ntoskrnl.exe with no BUG Check Screen. Have you checked the hard drive for errors?

Thanks for the reply Tmagic, I think the model of my hard drive is:

WDC WD2500JS-22NCB1 ATA Device

Thats what it says under the device manager anyway. The hard drive is quite old, easily 4-5 years. I took it out of my old computer when I was building my new one. I have not scanned the hard drive for errors and I'm not overlocking.

Would you reccomend scanning the hard drive for errors? And If so should I automatically fix file system errors, or scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors?

Both errors are the same CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
This indicates that an expected clock interrupt on a secondary processor, in a multi-processor system, was not received within the allocated interval.

This typically occurs when a processor is nonresponsive or is deadlocked.

The thing is a cpu is one of the most stable and reliable of all hardware components and while faulty cpu's are not unheard of to have two in a row would be a rare thing. Which means that it might be due to something else.

* Heat is a strong suspicion here. It could be either thermal paste has not been applied correctly or the heat sink fan is not functioning properly.

* Or there may be a need for the BIOS to be updated or maybe even the motherboard is faulty.

*** This is still under warranty. Tell them of your continuing issues and especially tell them of your minidump files being read and make sure you give them the error code.

Both errors are the same CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
This indicates that an expected clock interrupt on a secondary processor, in a multi-processor system, was not received within the allocated interval.

The thing is a cpu is one of the most stable and reliable of all hardware components and while faulty cpu's are not unheard of to have two in a row would be a rare thing. Which means that it might be due to something else.

* Heat is a strong suspicion here. It could be either thermal paste has not been applied correctly or the heat sink fan is not functioning properly.

* Or there may be a need for the BIOS to be updated or maybe even the motherboard is faulty.

*** This is still under warranty. Tell them of your continuing issues and especially tell them of your minidump files being read and make sure you give them the error code.

Thanks Route

Currently I'm running 3Ds Max and the Unreal Development Kit and the CPU temp (According to ASUS AI Suite II) is reading at 43 degrees whilst the motherboard is at 28 degrees. CPU Fan is at 1582rpm.

I've already been in contact with ebuyer about the motherboard and I've set up a returns recipt - I just wanted to try to make sure i'd nailed the issue. My comp will probably be down for about a week and I wanna be as sure as I can that it's the right component thats screwed.

Lloydy,
Go ahead and check the hard drive for errors. Right-click on the C drive select properties, tools and select check and fix errors... selecting a test on next start up

You jogged my memory. In one of the minidumps, though not cited as the probable cause, the 3Ds Max driver 3dsmark.sys was specifically cited in another section. Disable 3Ds Max and tell us if your system experiences any more BSODs.

You jogged my memory. In one of the minidumps, though not cited as the probable cause, the 3Ds Max driver 3dsmark.sys was specifically cited in another section. Disable 3Ds Max and tell us if your system experiences any more BSODs.

Hey Route - I THINK 3Ds max could be my issue. I was trying to skin a character model today after 2 days of no bluescreen. I thought that the problem was Max seemed fine at first but as soon as I applied a modifier. It crashed. Would you mind looking at the dmp file for me and seeing if it's the same 3dsmark.sys that's messed up?

Also do you think a reinstallation of 3DS max could sort out this issue?

Attachments

• 022312-25459-01.zip
    24 KB · Views: 2
Sorry for the double post but about 15 minutes after rebooting my computer bluescreened again. This time only firefox was open. I'll include that dmp too. =/

I really don't understand whats going on. It's been fine for two days. Now its started up again. :(

Attachments

• 022312-26005-01.zip
    22.8 KB · Views: 3
I see only Ntoskrnl.exe with no Bug Check String... Have you tried raising the Memory VCC a notch or two?

"Also what is this 'Ntoskrnl.exe with no Bug Check String' and what does it mean?"...

This is only an indication of general Windows instability. You have an Asus motherboard. They are known to be very picky about the memory installed. In the bios, you will find a section that displays the memory timings and voltage settings. Set this section to "manual" and raise the VCC setting a notch or 2 higher and save and exit

Again both errors are the same like before 0x101: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

The analysis was inconclusive but once 3dsmax.sys was listed but not as the cause.

*** Who built this system?

Hey Route44,
where are you getting this info from? It seems that it is a little out in "left field"... Multi- processor system... Do you mean multi-core processors?

Hi,
I dont mean to hijack the thread here, but I am having the exact same problem with my PC. The same stop codes aswell - BCCode:101
BCP1:0000000000000019
BCP2:0000000000000000
BCP3:FFFFF88002F65180
BCP4:0000000000000002
OS Version:6_1_7601
Service Pack:1_0
Product:256_1
The minidumps that I have received have been analysed, and people have noted how vague they are. I have tried so many things for over 6 months, but have been unable to find a cure. I have a 2600k, p8p67-m pro, g.skill 1600 8gb ripjaw ram, gtx 560 ti. I also have a watercooled cpu which I have never experienced go over 70 degrees. No errors on hdd and ram/cpu/gpu all stress tested. It just seems that random events, but mostly gaming causes the bsod.
Did you find a cure in the end Lloydy? As I am starting to think either my mobo is faulty, or the ram/mobo combination is not compatible.
Any responses or thoughts are very welcomed.
Thanks.

"I have tried so many things for over 6 months, but have been unable to find a cure"... Can you tell us just what you have tried? When are the BSOD's most likely to happen? 6 months indicate that this issue is very intermittent indeed. CPU and memory voltage settings can be the root cause of this type of trouble. Did you install the motherboard's drivers from a supplied DVD or from the ASUS support website?

At first, it was intermittent. But after a couple of weeks with adjusting some voltages, the system seemed to become stable. But every now and then when a driver was installed or an update occurred, the system would resume bsod'ing. I can't specifically remember the voltages I tried, but I used a profile which I had saved as "stable" in the AI suite II. I have recently moved, and my PC is playing up again and even using the "stable" profile which used to work, it has had no successful effect. I have formatted twice since I have been here, and still no joy. I could never overclock the pc for fear of BSOD, which would then render the system susceptible to bsod for a short while after. I used to be able to play bf3 for hours, with no BSOD, but now its little more than 1-2 minutes.
I have tried many software resolution methods, which have been recomended for me to try out which have not flagged any errors. Any by formatting many times, it lead me to believe it was a hardware issue. It is the same clock issue as Lloyd, and the 101 code points to a hardware issue apparently. So far I have stress tested the CPU and found no problems. I have memtest86 the ram for over 20 hours, found no problems. I have stress tested the gpu which did bring some errors about, which made me think it was the gpu, but after I installed my old 8800GTS and ran a game, I experienced the same BSOD. I have tested all three of my hdds, and found no errors. I have tried running the HDD with the OS on a seperate power slow on the psu, and it didn't fix it.

It is very strange indeed, as I remember being able to run os defaults and have my system stable, but then after trying to change settings, the system would bsod and even using the old defaults would not fix the problem. It is almost like the pc needs time to settle, before it becomes stable. The drivers for the mobo have all been installed from a usb, and any driver for the mobo and gfx have been downloaded from their respective verified sources. They have all been installed via usb as I have no cd drive in the system. This is also the same for my os, as I use a student version of w7 64 bit, which I lost the old boot file, but have since tried three different w7 64 boot files from various sources on different complete formats of windows, and it still hasn't fixed the problem.

At this stage, it just feels that there is a hardware issue with a component that needs changing or repairing, but the hard part is to find out which component! Running out of patience, and I am considering taking the CPU to a friend's, and swapping out components in order to find the faulty part.

What is the power supply's make and model, and what CPU are you using? I have an i5 3450S on a Gigabyte motherboard

Nice, it's a shame that with all the money you have spent, you have these issues. Maybe you should try another motherboard brand other than ASUS. Have you consulted ASUS support?

No, I think that will be the next step. The funny thing is, a friend and I both bought computers at the same time, which were the same specs except the mobo and the ram. I might have to do some more copying!

Bought all the parts separately but the mobo was bought just over 6 months ago, and asus have a 3 year warranty on their mobo's I believe.

Good, ASUS might exchange the motherboard for a more current model. Have you checked for a bios update?

Yea, I believe the latest version is 3602 which is my current version. Flashed it twice aswell, as recommended on Asus' website.

Back