Three more UK file sharing sites become target of ISP blockade

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The British Phonographic Industry (BPI) has asked multiple Internet service providers in the UK to block access to file sharing sites Fenopy, H33t and Kickass Torrents. The BPI, a collective group that represents rights holders, says the sites are being used to illegally distribute copyrighted music among members.

Unsurprisingly, the six ISPs in question – BT, EE, O2, Sky, TalkTalk and Virgin Media – have all declined to comply with the request unless ordered to do so by a court. The largest of the group, BT, told BBC News that they were currently considering their options.

Earlier this year, a similar request was made to the same six ISPs to block access to The Pirate Bay. In that instance, however, the BPI was equipped with a court order that ultimately led to compliance by all ISPs over the following months.

The group is hoping the previous case will set precedent for this and future requests to move the process along at a faster pace. The BPI is reportedly hoping to get the sites blocked by Christmas but that will all depend on the court’s availability between now and then to issue an order.

Gauging the effectiveness of a court order can be a tricky task. Nielsen ratings revealed that traffic dropped by three quarters in the UK following the court-ordered blockade, a figure disputed by at least one IPS. The unnamed ISP said there was an initial dip in traffic but it recovered fully within just one week as new services were set up to access the site through other means.

Permalink to story.

If I share a movie with my bro over Google drive, will they shut google drive down? What is the legal difference if these torrent sites are not hosting files?

The unnamed ISP said there was an initial dip in traffic but it recovered fully within just one week as new services were set up to access the site through other means.
No matter how many sites they block, there will always be a way around the block. They are wasting their time and money, attempting to stop the inevitable. I know I shouldn't but I find this all humorous.

@treetops
Helping someone commit a crime is almost the same as commiting the crime yourself. The sites may not host the material, but the point you to EXACTLY who has the copy protected material. So in essence, everytime you downloaded copy protected material from places like TBP, TPB shares in the responsability as well as the person who downloaded it. Places like TPB and Mega help to facilitate the copying of protected material. Hope that helps clear it up a bit.

@treetops
Helping someone commit a crime is almost the same as commiting the crime yourself. The sites may not host the material, but the point you to EXACTLY who has the copy protected material. So in essence, everytime you downloaded copy protected material from places like TBP, TPB shares in the responsability as well as the person who downloaded it. Places like TPB and Mega help to facilitate the copying of protected material. Hope that helps clear it up a bit.
If you think the entire mission of Google is to help pirates, I agree with you. But they are not. It's just a side effect of an open service. You logic is closer to saying all crime witnesses and victims are also criminals if they don't react to prevent the crime.

If you think the entire mission of Google is to help pirates, I agree with you. But they are not. It's just a side effect of an open service. You logic is closer to saying all crime witnesses and victims are also criminals if they don't react to prevent the crime.
Witnesses who don't react to prevent a crime ARE accessories to it, aren't they?

Back