TechSpot

Three senior executives are no longer with AMD

By Shawn Knight
Jan 13, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. AMD will have some pretty large shoes to fill in the near future as three senior executives are no longer with the company.

Read more

2. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,676   +780

Things that make you say Hmmmmmmmmm ........

3. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

Could have been worse. Losing Byrne is a blow, but at least AMD managed to hold on to Mark Papermaster and Devinder Kumar thanks to a sweetener of stock options as a retention incentive. Losing those two in addition to Byrne could have been catastrophic.

Strange timing with Byrne being the public face of AMD as little as two days ago. Doesn't auger well for the Q4/yearly financials due out in a week, or for the Q1 2015 forecast...at the very least.

4. 7vkweygfr

7vkweygfr TS Rookie

AMD has been dead for close to a decade, apart from its graphics division, so...*pfff*

5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,558   +2,900

Say what you will about AMD but if it wasn't for them, my beloved Intel wouldn't be the player they are today in the desktop market. And I don't believe AMD is dead, they are simply playing a new game. They are playing a longterm game by shifting main focus away from desktop which will eventually die. AMD is not dead nor are the dying. In my opinion; AMD is creating a major foothold in the portable market space, which is the future of computing.

6. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

What foothold would that be?
    Far as I can tell, AMD are exactly nowhere in phones, tablets/ 2-in-1's, Chromebooks, and ultrabooks...and Carrizo looks like a non-event thanks to Broadwell and Intel's contra revenue program.
    Do they have anything of significance, or any key announced design wins going to market?