TIE Fighter: Total Conversion latest release adds ray tracing and other visual effects

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: TIE Fighter: Total Conversion (TFTC) is a mod that completely rebuilds the classic 1994 LucasArts space-combat sim TIE Fighter using the 1999 X-Wing Alliance (XWA) engine. It not only brings the graphics up-to-date, but it also adds new features and a "Reimagined" mode (separately installed) to complete the package.

The latest TIE Fighter: Total Conversion patch (v1.3.3) adds several cool features to the game, including a new animated concourse menu screen, more ship models, better special effects, and ray tracing. Even though it is built on the 24 -year-old game X-Wing Alliance, which can run on a potato, the modern visuals require a bit more power.

"[Ray tracing] further improves [visuals] the but at the expense of performance," said TFTC lead designer Angel in his summary of version 1.3.3. "So make sure your system is capable of handling it."

Disclaimer aside, it shouldn't tax more recent builds too much. The mod's main requirements are Windows 10 or higher, an Nvidia or AMD GPU (Intel not supported), and at least 50GB of available storage. Users will also need a copy of XWA, which they can snag for about $10 on GoG and Steam.

The mod's visuals are what you would expect from a full-blown remake coming out of a high-budget studio. It's an impressive feat considering TFTC was developed by a small part-time hobbyist modding group. The team added a new Predator-class Star Destroyer and Valient Cruiser in the latest update. They also revamped explosions to look more exciting and dynamic and completely overhauled the concourse menu screen.

TIE Fighter's original menu screen had animations limited to a static background with doors that opened when hovering over them with the cursor. The new v1.3.3 patch goes all out on the game's menu screen, with fully animated officers, pilots, and droids carrying out their daily duties. Players can also see fighters and star destroyers flying by through the large windows at the top of the screen. Progressing through the campaign also changes the appearance of the concourse, giving players a nice visual reward for reaching milestones.

Check out Angel's release announcement video (above) for details on all the changes. For instructions on how to install the TFTC mod, visit the project's website.

Permalink to story.

When I first got XWing, and then TIE Fighter (on 3.25in floppies lol), my friends didn't see me again for months. In my teen years I escaped into the cockpit of tie fighters, interceptors, bombers, gunboats, Tie Advanced, Defenders, and missleboats and blasted the life out of all the rebel scum who dared raise a weapon in defiance to the empire. As an emperial pilot, I was recruited by the emperor's secret order and carried out his will, even finding the Traiters Harkov and Admiral Zarin. The emperor said I was the most kick *** TIE pilot and zapped about 40x purple tatoos on my arm.

Oh nostalgia :), I started following this Tie Fighter Total Conversion about 2 years ago. My inner teenage child was jumping up and down rubbing his hands together in anticipation the entire time. The 1st release finally arrived and it is unbelievably gorgeous. Its sad, but I haven't had the time but to play through the first 2 campaigns. Life has happened and I haven't had hardly a moment of free time since about last August 2022. I am definitely eager to get back to it

A note: This can also be played in VR if I remember correctly. In the collection of mods that this TFTC relies on, is an option to set your video settings to VR.

A 2nd note: Star Wars Squadrons which came out a year or 2 ago also has a fantastic single player campaign that can also be played fully in VR as well as 2D, whichever mode you choose the game is very fun. The game came out for $30, so reasonably priced. I always suck bad at multiplayer anything, but even that is fun here. Squadrons gets a recommendation from me too, almost as high as TFTC

A 3rd note: Just a bit of history, the quest for a Tie Fighter Total Conversion has been going on for over 10 years, maybe more. I've followed several people's / group's efforts to create a modern graphics Tie Fighter. Some came very very close but always ended up getting shut down, the group disbanding (A guy who's handle was Darksaber essentially nuking all the years of work, iirc), etc.

I need more free time to go play TFTC :)

Great post. Love this:
When I first got XWing, and then TIE Fighter (on 3.25in floppies lol), my friends didn't see me again for months. In my teen years I escaped into the cockpit of tie fighters, interceptors, bombers, gunboats, Tie Advanced, Defenders, and missleboats and blasted the life out of all the rebel scum who dared raise a weapon in defiance to the empire. As an emperial pilot, I was recruited by the emperor's secret order and carried out his will, even finding the Traiters Harkov and Admiral Zarin. The emperor said I was the most kick *** TIE pilot and zapped about 40x purple tatoos on my arm.
Also:
A note: This can also be played in VR if I remember correctly. In the collection of mods that this TFTC relies on, is an option to set your video settings to VR.
I made a mental note to mention this, but a mental breeze blew the mental note into the mental trash. Thanks for mentioning. Also, I agree, Squadrons is very good. Squadrons is a good substitute if you can't play TIE Fighter, but yeah, human players are tough. Expect to get killed a lot if you jump right into MP action.

No support for kbd and mouse?
the message that told you "check if your controller is connected" will cost you 10 euros

If u get controller, you may end with black screen that cant be passed until Hard Reset = reboot your system
ty Cal, I didn't expect that from you

Back