Tim Cook says some Macs will be US-manufactured in 2013

By Jos
Dec 6, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. BusinessWeek has posted a lengthy interview with Apple CEO Tim Cook, discussing everything from the recent management shifts at the company, to the Maps fiasco and the convergence of OS X / iOS. On the topic of manufacturing, something that...

Read more
  2. So, they can place more expensive price tag..
  3. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,170   +432

It'll be interesting to see where they setup shop. My money is on Texas or Nevada, but they'll still up the price a couple hundred bucks regardless. Glad to see they're bringing some business to the US though.
  4. Oh look apple is doing something respectful. Remember this moment for it is rare.
  5. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 939   +82

I would be shocked if it were in California. But I am happy to see that some manufacturing brought back to their home country. The 100 million investment is somewhat significant but, measuring by the cash on hand reserve that Apple holds, it's by not large.

I wonder if this step comes as a result of the battle between Apple and its competitors/partners.
  6. Lurker101

Lurker101 TechSpot Addict Posts: 626   +122

And by 'manufactured' he actually means 'assembled'. Apple isn't going to waste money employing expensive American workers to build Apple products. They'll continue to use the cheaper Chinese workforce to build anything important, then have it all shipped to America to be quickly put together so it can all boast a 'Made in the USA' sticker on.
  7. Jos

Jos TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 2,042   +62 Staff Member

What exactly it will entail is unclear right now. But he specifically mentions in the interview that they plan something more "substantial" than "just assembly". It's also mentioned in the news post.
  8. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 265   +77

Respectful? hell, I bet this wouldn't be happening without MASSIVE tax breaks and incentives from all levels of government.. Apple has never done anything patriotic for the sake of patriotism they are 'bottom line feeders' that's it.
    m4a4 likes this.
  9. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,271   +257

It's a start... and I'm pleased Apple is doing anything at all to try since the zealots wouldn't stop buying their products anyway. If they keep it up and pay taxes like they should then I may start having a lot more respect for the company. They make some cool stuff, we all know that. Just don't do it at the expense of everyone else. You've gotta have some patriotism.
  10. fimbles

fimbles TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,229   +119

Possibly because they have burned their bridges with samsung and other suppliers...
    m4a4 likes this.
  11. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 265   +77

They should 'start' by paying proper business taxes, that's patriotic... and no personally I find their products way too much form over function. I don't find any of their products appealing.
    m4a4 likes this.

12. Khanonate

Khanonate TechSpot Member Posts: 91   +7

Give the guy a break, he's a new CEO so maybe... he will turn things around....
  13. "Patriotic"
    any other?
    close&close&close
    just sick
  14. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 807   +91

:eek: Not even the ipod classic? 160gb and costs quite a bit less than all the newer ipods? LOL

Would be the best gift I ever got.
    U jelly?
  15. Create jobs. teehee no pun intended I guess.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.