Time picks Alan Wake as top game of 2010

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

With only two weeks left in 2010, you can expect the usual influx of yearly "best of" nominations and compilations. Along with naming Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg "Person of the Year," Time Magazine has published its picks for top 10 video games of 2010, with Alan Wake selected as this year's number one title.

Developed by Remedy Entertainment, the Xbox 360 exclusive hit store shelves on May 14 in the EU and May 18 in the US. It received an average rating between 8 and 9 out of 10, with numerous positive reviews praising its graphics, atmosphere and pacing. A sequel is rumored, but no details are available.

Angry Birds, an addictive casual game for smartphones, earned second place on Time's list. Third went to Red Dead Redemption, which was followed by Halo: Reach and Super Mario Galaxy 2. Indie titles Limbo and Super Meat Boy ranked sixth and seventh on Time's list, while Super Street Fighter IV took eighth.

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty occupied the ninth slot, while Mass Effect 2 was positioned dead last in Time's picks. We disagree with some of the magazine's decisions and we assume many of you do too. If you could recompile the list, what would it look like? What titles would you add, remove, or shift around?

Permalink to story.

Time Magazine lost touch with the real world about 15 years ago. I can't say I'm surprised by this... Next we'll see Courtney Love and Amy Winehouse battling it out for the top spot on Time's sexiest women chart... :gag:

puh-lease!! This is as bad as when the Grammy's gave Jethro Tull a Grammy for "best heavy metal band."

These Time magazine voters are absolutely clueless and obviously completely out of touch with the gaming world.

Oh I'm a big fan of Jethro Tull - seen them many a time and have most if not all of their CD's. Just a nonsensical pick for "best heavy metal band." Like these Time magazine game selections. :p

Best thing about Jethro Tull winning was that they beat Metallica and Megadeth to win that award, and the albums they beat out were arguably two of the best thrash metal albums made.

Oh I'm a big fan of Jethro Tull - seen them many a time and have most if not all of their CD's. Just a nonsensical pick for "best heavy metal band." Like these Time magazine game selections. :p
Well Tom, they had to call Jethro Tull, "heavy metal", since if they placed them the appropriate category..., "Best Electric Renaissance Minstrel Band with Paranoid Delusions of Shakespearhood wearing Cod Pieces"...., they wouldn't have anybody to compete against, and only you and I would know what I'm talking about.

And yes Tom, verily, "I know how it feels to be thick as a brick"

killeriii said:
Top 10 Video Games for 10 year olds

Totally.

I still play donkey kong, pacman, mrs pacman, galaga and defender all the time. Those games challenge a player on a level that these modern games don't.

Totally.

I still play donkey kong, pacman, mrs pacman, galaga and defender all the time. Those games challenge a player on a level that these modern games don't.

I'm guessing you mean "Defender" for the original Atari 2600? Sadly they put out a collection of those old games for the PC which omitted "Defender".

I actually would still enjoy playing that game, and even "Super Breakout", but for that game, I couldn't tune my joystick to the feel of the old time paddle controllers.

Man, TIME magazine is on a roll! Not...

I've lost faith in just about EVERY award handed out these days. The only people I take seriously for awards are the folks at PC Gamer.

I've lost faith in just about EVERY award handed out these days.
Indeed! Look how many CMAs Taylor Swift got last year after the Kanye West fiaso. That was the best thing, (Kanye's interruption), that ever happened to her, although I doubt it felt that way at the time.

captaincranky said:
Totally.

I'm guessing you mean "Defender" for the original Atari 2600? Sadly they put out a collection of those old games for the PC which omitted "Defender".

I actually would still enjoy playing that game, and even "Super Breakout", but for that game, I couldn't tune my joystick to the feel of the old time paddle controllers.

Arcade version of defender. I got to play it at funspot and had to have it put on my machine.

Lmao I read this article and thought to myself "err whatnow?!" I havent even heard of most of those games on there, except angry birds and a few others.

Seriousley wtf is the deal with console games taking over the world, someone needs to write some good console viruses to brick each and every one of them so we can get proper good pc games.

princeton said:

Yeah, old classics like that are just the ticket for a challange...You can spend weeks (and still fail) trying to master games like Ghost's and Ghoul's for the Sega megadrive.

Donkey Kong Country for the SNES was quite tuff also, but a great game....Hmmm, might dig it out now and have a bash!. :D

LOL Alan Wake... umm, no, leave the game picks to ppl who play games. RDR might have been a much better pick for #1, but even then there are tons of games just forgotten on this list, epic fail

I suspect most main stream magazine reviewers never actually play the games, they just use game company marketing material.

Benny26 said:
princeton said:

Yeah, old classics like that are just the ticket for a challange...You can spend weeks (and still fail) trying to master games like Ghost's and Ghoul's for the Sega megadrive.

Donkey Kong Country for the SNES was quite tuff also, but a great game....Hmmm, might dig it out now and have a bash!. :D

Grab yourself an arcade machine(or a MAME emulator) and try the US v1 release of Donkey Kong. By far the hardest game ever made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_UMB9imlyY

wat about COD: Black OPs.. they forgot to mention that uhh????? this should have at least been in the first 5 ..

pgcharlie said:
wat about COD: Black OPs.. they forgot to mention that uhh????? this should have at least been in the first 5 ..

You mean that piss poor bug of a game that has poor texture/model work in addition to the terrible engine it runs on?

Back