Tip: Get more accurate CPU usage data using Process Explorer vs. Task Manager

By LookinAround
Oct 17, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Tip: Use Process Explorer to see more accurate and detailed CPU usage info

Most everyone is familiar with Windows Task Manager. Most have also used it to try and learn more about process CPU usage on their machine. But here's a tip for geeks, purists and those who want more accurate and helpful CPU usage data: Use Process Explorer (PE) instead!

• Unlike Task Manager, PE also shows you how much CPU time Windows spends servicing Interrupts and DPCs (These represent hardware and driver activity on your machine). Continuous high levels of interrupts and DPCs may flag hardware / driver problems
    • Plus, i just found this interesting read (below) that describes why PE is more accurate then Task Manager and thought I'd pass it along
    • Here's a couple threads which include screen shots and real life examples of how useful PE can be!
      > Services.exe takes up 30% of my CPU
      > Horribly slow boot time on XP Professional -- no viruses, good maintenance

2. medo997

medo997 Newcomer, in training

i guess it's a virus
  3. medo997

or the fan has a problem
  4. medo997

i guess u should google norton 360 v5

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.