To Eyefinity or not to Eyefinity. That is the question.

baN893

Hey guys,

I'm consulting you guys since this matter has been on my mind for a while now. Almost two months back I purchased parts to build my own gaming desktop and now I'm looking if I should expand my view so to speak. As a quick brief, here are my specs:

i5 2500k @ 4.6GHz
ASRock Extreme3 Gen3
4x4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz CL9
Sapphire HD 7970
Corsair H100
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 120GB
WD Caviar Black 1.5TB 7200rpm
Corsair 500R
ASUS VE248H LED Backlit
Logitech G110, G500, & G930

I think it is clear that my setup should be able to handle Eyefinity, but there are some questions I have regarding the matter. What's your personal opinion on Eyefinity? I've never played on an Eyefinity setup :( but imagine it is quite amazing. To the more technical questions. Can I buy two additional ASUS VE248H screens to run Eyefinity? I read somewhere that at least one screen with native display port is absolutely necessary. Is that still true? What's the 60Hz 120Hz deal? It seems like they are two seperated religions, and from my novice point of view I don't see why humans would need 120Hz screens since we can't differentiate above ?30fps?. Are there other screens I should consider for Eyefinity? I am aware that my current screen doesn't have thin bezels. Spending around $200 per screen is really the emotional sweetspot, I'm not willing to pay $400 per screen. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Really any other input you have regarding Eyefinity, such as issues or things I should be aware of, would be much appreciated on my behalf. I hope you guys are having a happy Valentine's Day, since I am spending mine with my desktop :p

Thank you,

baN

For eyefinity and gaming I recommend you have three identical displays. Otherwise the different heights (if they're not adjustable) and the bezel trim differences will frustrate you.

The thinner the bezels the better as well, as you will have twice as much bezel between displays when they sit alongside each other. You will likely naturally adapt to the gaps between display panels though.

You could use a display port adapter, to change out to DVI or HDMI. You will likely need to use at least one of those ports though.

Your GPU is good, but it will struggle with high settings at eyefinity 5760x1080 resolutions. Ideally, at that resolution you want at least two HD7970's, with three or four giving maximum gains in performance.

I setup a eyefinity as I had a spare (3rd) monitor with an identical resolution.

Eyefinity "requirements" call for at least one DP monitor. However you can use an active DP-> DVI adapter to get around this. An example of this adapter can be found HERE.

I had the eyefinity setup for about a week before I got rid of it. It looked great, sure. But it was near impossible for me to concentrate on the game.

Plenty of people love it however, so give it a shot!

Are you going for this style setup or horizontal?
23sw0b4.jpg

I was thinking of a horizontal setup since my ASUS VE248H doesnt rotate 90°. However I might as well sell the screen I have now, which I am loving by the way, and get three new screens which are more suitable ( thinner bezels, rotatable and native DP support). Do you guys have any suggestions for an eyefinity monitor? thanks for all the replies btw

baN

Try NEC monitors or samsung monitors, from what I hear online they have the thinnest bezels, also there is a company called 9xmedia and they sell multidisplay monitors, though I think they're a bit expensive and meant to cater towards businesses, still they provide a free quote so doesn't hurt to see how much it would cost. You could also consider getting three projectors that support eyefinity, from videos on YouTube they look amazing, some even have IMAX like quality, like a flight simulator displayed on six projectors makes it look like your in a plane.

Back