Yet another Case of the constant repeater:

P4VMA-m v7.x P4 3.0ghz flashed with latest BIOS
Original stick: Advance Modules ANTEK
AM256D08C2C-PC3200 32M X 64 DDR
S42134 256MB,400MHZ,CL3

Replacement Sticks: Crucial Ballistix
BL6464Z402.16TG Batch : CL1115Q.1M
PN : 47072

PC boots up just fine with original stick. When attempting to either add another stick to the configuration or changing the original stick for another stick of memory will go into a continual rebooting process, partially loading up any program only to freeze or reboot. Attempted to run memtest86x as well as microsofts equivalent but neither program will run through with the new memory installed. Meaning they will reboot before fully loading or will freeze up with a nice scattering of characters after the program initializes.

This is the second time I have attempted to upgrade the memory to no avail, last time I attempted with a stick of memory that had the same states except CAS was 2.5 instead of 3 and size was 512mb. Ended up using that stick in another computer without any problems. Do I need to mess with the BIOS default mem timings? if so which ones? right now it is set to By SPD.
Or is this a terminal problem?
btw the Crucial stick is supposed to be able to run at CAS 2 naturally.

Any help or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

Have you cleared the cmos before installing the new ram, maybe even
pull battery for 10 mins?
I don't mean to be arogant with you, it has made a diff
on a few MoBo's in the recent past for me.

It's not likely it's the ram, it's more likely the MoBo.
Can you boot to a floppy without hdd hooked up?
You could run memtest that way to make sure the ram is ok.
Other than that I think this is a rare prob to me.
G'Luck

Well clearing the cmos is one thing I have not done. Though the POST recognizes the memory change. Will try it after I run the memtests in a different box.
Also the memory testing progs were both run from a floppy, but the HDD was not detached, was debating on removing them for the fun of it.
Ran the memtest86 and WindowsMemoryDiagnostics programs with original memory installed both of them came back with errors - on the memory that works.
WMD came back with an error during the 7th test
Test:MATS+ Cache:eek:ff Addy:024d3a9c Exp:ffffffff Act:efffffff
MemTestv3.2 found an errror in test 4 I stopped it when it was 50% through with second pass.
FailingAddy:000013e0824-19.0MB Good:6b56763f Bad:6b56563f ErrBits:00002000 Count:23 Chan:1
Am going to run the memtests again today when I have some free time on the new memory in a different computer to see if this problem is really just isolated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back