Today's MS updates

learninmypc

I normally allow them automatically & have had no problem till today.
I'm not sure which update it was , but Avast popped up & I tried clicking on various choices,but nothing worked. Although I tried to do a screenshot, it can't be found after a search.
I canceled the updates & forced a shutdown. Restarted it & immediatly put the updates on Don't download but let me know. The icon is sitting in my notification area
letting me know they're ready to be installed but I DO NOT want Avast popping up again because I don't know which option to click on. HELP,please. TIA
XP MCE

I normally allow them automatically & have had no problem till today.
I'm not sure which update it was , but Avast popped up & I tried clicking on various choices,but nothing worked. Although I tried to do a screenshot, it can't be found after a search.
I canceled the updates & forced a shutdown. Restarted it & immediatly put the updates on Don't download but let me know. The icon is sitting in my notification area
letting me know they're ready to be installed but I DO NOT want Avast popping up again because I don't know which option to click on. HELP,please. TIA
XP MCE

After the above,my pc was a bit slow so I figured I'd reboot it "normally" & as I was doing such,it gave me the option to click the middle button to install MS updates. I didn't but wonder if I should? Would Avast pop up once I restarted the pc?

Temporarily disable Avast! by right-clicking on its Notification Area icon and choosing the one-hour option. Do the same (or similar) for any other "real-time" security software.

Double-click on the Windows Update icon in the Notification area and install each update separately. Then, if the problem recurs, you will know which update is the culprit. However, I doubt you will have any more troubles. It's always a good idea to temporarily suspend all security software when installing updates and applications from trusted publishers,

Temporarily disable Avast! by right-clicking on its Notification Area icon and choosing the one-hour option. Do the same (or similar) for any other "real-time" security software.

Double-click on the Windows Update icon in the Notification area and install each update separately. Then, if the problem recurs, you will know which update is the culprit. However, I doubt you will have any more troubles. It's always a good idea to temporarily suspend all security software when installing updates and applications from trusted publishers,

I know how to temporarily disable Avast,but don't know how to do the "one at a time" unless I do it via IE

Do it via IE then mate. :)

You do need to do them one at a time though by the sounds of it.

Thank you, will do.

Here is the Avast warning I got & am getting again
AVAST.jpg

After the above happened, it froze . On that Avast warning, I clicked the drop down menu & clicked to have it moved to chest & it then disappeared. I was forced to shut down via power on button. Left off for 30 seconds & thankfully am back.
I've never had this happen & do not have access to a back up pc.
What would happen if I disabled Avast & let the updates install?

You should be disabling the AV and letting it install. You're grabbing an update from Microsoft, it will be genuine.

In this instance your AV is wrong. It is probably just because its a new update and Avast hasn't been updated (at their end) yet to know to leave it alone.

Disable the AV, and get the update installed, then re-enable the AV once rebooted. As a FYI; disable the AV when you do updates if you encounter problems. It can really break installs if its interacting with what your installing. While its something you've downloaded, it is a Genuine MS update so it is quite safe. Just don't be using the computer for anything else while the AV is disabled.

You should be disabling the AV and letting it install. You're grabbing an update from Microsoft, it will be genuine.

In this instance your AV is wrong. It is probably just because its a new update and Avast hasn't been updated (at their end) yet to know to leave it alone.

Disable the AV, and get the update installed, then re-enable the AV once rebooted. As a FYI; disable the AV when you do updates if you encounter problems. It can really break installs if its interacting with what your installing. While its something you've downloaded, it is a Genuine MS update so it is quite safe. Just don't be using the computer for anything else while the AV is disabled.

Ok, thanks, will do.:)

Back