Too hot for gaming?

Wafflebutt

Hi guys, I recently bought a pre-built gaming desktop. I usually get 40-45*C when idle, and around 60-70*C when playing games like Skyrim or Crysis 2. Is it normal?

CPU: AMD FX-4100 Quadcore

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 Midi Tower black, 1X 120mm fan, Blue LEDs
Motherboard: M5A78L- M LX V2

GPU: Sapphire radeon 6870
RAM: 4GB 1333 Mhz
Power supply: Silver Power SP-SS500 500W

Any idea how I can keep the temperature down?

This is what I got after play Crysis 2 for around 45 minutes:
a56f151c6ed9de10b2ca6b1f624136b7.png

I wouldn't say those temps are horrible and will kill your system. However, staying cool will usually prolong the life of your parts and prevent all sorts of weird issues.
Take a look here: https://www.techspot.com/community/...art-I-cleanliness-is-next-to-coolness.180136/
You may find some ways to lower temps. There's also a part 2 of that guide and you can find it in the "guides" section of the forum.
Hope this helps!

Oh and btw are you experience any overheating symptoms? ie. crashes, restarts, bsod's, FPS drop, etc.?

For a stock cooler. Those temps do not look to bad. Look into getting a aftermarket heatsink for your CPU. Their are some good cheap ones out on the market. As Ranger12 said, check out that guide. Its good a read.

I wouldn't say those temps are horrible and will kill your system. However, staying cool will usually prolong the life of your parts and prevent all sorts of weird issues.
Take a look here: https://www.techspot.com/community/...art-I-cleanliness-is-next-to-coolness.180136/
You may find some ways to lower temps. There's also a part 2 of that guide and you can find it in the "guides" section of the forum.
Hope this helps!

Oh and btw are you experience any overheating symptoms? ie. crashes, restarts, bsod's, FPS drop, etc.?

Not at all, maybe driving stutter in Saints Row 3 and a tiny movement lag in Skyrim

For a stock cooler. Those temps do not look to bad. Look into getting a aftermarket heatsink for your CPU. Their are some good cheap ones out on the market. As Ranger12 said, check out that guide. Its good a read.

I have no experience with computer, thats why I bought a pre-built one. But I'll try install one

I have no experience with computer, thats why I bought a pre-built one. But I'll try install one
It is pretty easy to install a new heatsink. In some cases, there will even be videos showing you how to install a certain heatsink.

Lag in skyrim=no surprise. Last time I played a few months ago some lag was just part of the game.
You should be fine installing a heat sink. There's lots of guides and if you have any questions you can always ask here. That guide should help with overall airflow in your case which is important and can help lower the GPU temp and the CPU temp.

Am I reading it right?

Processor is at 64 dergrees
Graphics card at 53 degrees

I think this is very unusual in my opinion that a cpu would reach a higher temp than your gpu. Try a diffrent temprature monitor.

I did some quick googling, and I believe the max temp for your CPU is 70C. You are still almost 10% under that. I wouldn't be too concerned. If you haven't already bought an aftermarket HSF, then I'd really consider how long you plan on keeping that system. I ran a 10% (I know not much) OC on a processor (Athlon T-Bird 1Ghz) for 7 or 8 years with the stock cooling before it died, and I'm not even sure it did die, the motherboard may have. I know they are totally different processors, but heat almost certainly shortens the life, but if the average lifespan is 7-10 years and its obsolete in 3-4, then are you really going to be sad if it doesn't work anymore after 5?

My point is, you can get some more life out of it with a more expensive cooler, but is that life going to be any benefit to you?

As for your graphics card, thats really cool, so like fimbles said, try another program. The good news is, those things can go up insanely high, perhaps as high as 120. I know that isn't a great source, but there are a couple comments, basically the point I took away was if you see anything lower than 90C you are totally fine for your GPU.

I did some quick googling, and I believe the max temp for your CPU is 70C. You are still almost 10% under that. I wouldn't be too concerned. If you haven't already bought an aftermarket HSF, then I'd really consider how long you plan on keeping that system. I ran a 10% (I know not much) OC on a processor (Athlon T-Bird 1Ghz) for 7 or 8 years with the stock cooling before it died, and I'm not even sure it did die, the motherboard may have. I know they are totally different processors, but heat almost certainly shortens the life, but if the average lifespan is 7-10 years and its obsolete in 3-4, then are you really going to be sad if it doesn't work anymore after 5?

My point is, you can get some more life out of it with a more expensive cooler, but is that life going to be any benefit to you?

As for your graphics card, thats really cool, so like fimbles said, try another program. The good news is, those things can go up insanely high, perhaps as high as 120. I know that isn't a great source, but there are a couple comments, basically the point I took away was if you see anything lower than 90C you are totally fine for your GPU.

I'm thinking to keep the case permanently and just upgrade the components inside. Plus I got a 3 years warranty from the website I bought, problem is I think I might screw something up with all those cables inside the case if I were to replace the stock fan with something better.

Oh and can you suggest me a better cooler? Budget is around 50-100$.

Oh and when you said its not gonna work anymore after 5 years, did you mean only the CPU? Or does the heat affect all components?

Also, should I get the Hyper 212 Evo cooler?

The Evo is a great CPU cooler. You should be fine with it. I would also clean up some of those wires inside of your case. You want as much air flow as possible throughout the case.

The Evo is a great CPU cooler. You should be fine with it. I would also clean up some of those wires inside of your case. You want as much air flow as possible throughout the case.

Do you think applying a new thermal paste (artic silver 5) would be as cool as a new cooler? I won't get paid until next month

You can apply new thermal paste. It may drop your temps by a couple degrees but not much. You want to invest in a new cooler to see any real difference. I do recommend applying new paste when you do get the new heatsink though. AS5 works great too.

Heat affects the life of everything, but when I said 5 years, I wasn't implying everything is going to die in 5 years. I was just saying that if you run things really hot it may die in 5 rather than 8 or 10. I bet very few of us have ever used a component long enough to watch it die naturally. So if I were you, I would probably not change anything.

Back