Top 14 OLED Gaming Monitors Ranked

The AW3423DWF is soo tempting...

I currently have an Asus PG279 (I think a newer version may have come out after mine which is a PG279Q which seems to be identical) which I've had for many years now (since 2014 perhaps?).

1140p, 27 inch, 165Hz refresh, IPS, it's a great monitor.
However, I don't know if its the external Power supply or something wrong with the screen itself, but it sometimes doesn't turn on and requires many steps to finally fix (just try again, try many times, take the power out and back in etc...)

It has "soon to die" smells.
Would you say the AW3423DWF is a considerable step up?

Thanks for the great video and article - it is soooo useful.

I'm in the market for a new monitor - much more of my time is spent on desktop productivity than on gaming - are these monitors still recommended?

Apparently there is some sub-pixel layout issue on the OLEDs that hinder text quality on screen. For me as somebody who has to read a lot, and also codes this is a huge factor in choosing the next monitor.

You left out that the Asus ROG Swift PG42UQ is actively cooled to better combat burn-in. Thats it's key selling point over the LG C2 which is not actively cooled.

If I'm buying a Monitor, I definately do not want any "Smart Display" functionality so that's a Feature I'm looking for. Anything that includes that garbage in a Display (not a TV) will never be bought as I refuse to spend money on a feature set I do not want and actively dislike.

I do not know why I need oled monitor. For movies maybe, but I would rather use a tv.
take secon option for example, a sub 27 screen that is not even 4k for 1k.
I do not see a lot of value there.

I am holding off for the 2nd Gen Samsung G8 OLED with the improved panel, 240hz, and G-Sync. I'm also hoping it will have the standard inputs and not the mini-hdmi/dp.

I do not know why I need oled monitor. For movies maybe, but I would rather use a tv.
take secon option for example, a sub 27 screen that is not even 4k for 1k.
I do not see a lot of value there.
No, you do not "need" an OLED monitor. But if you're an avid gamer who wants the best experience possible, you do need one. No other panel technology comes close in terms of black level, vibrant color, response time or viewing angles . That IS the value for those who have the means to afford it.

No, you do not "need" an OLED monitor. But if you're an avid gamer who wants the best experience possible, you do need one. No other panel technology comes close in terms of black level, vibrant color, response time or viewing angles . That IS the value for those who have the means to afford it.
I can't pay attention to those most time I play game. Sport games are too fast to notice those, horror games make me fixate on story and monster.
I haven't played a game where I could fully notice the advantages of oled.
Makes perfect sense for tv, not so much for games and reading articles on TS.

As a proud owner and early adopter of the AW3423DW, it seems odd to me that it's ranked 3 notches behind its cheaper sister monitor, the AW3423DWF.

Yes, the F version does offer firmware updates (which btw have mainly been used to bring it up to spec with the DW's superior HDR performance). But wait - I've already been enjoying this performance for 15 months! That's worth something right there. And don't expect any fabulous new firmware features just because they are possible now. Dell has already made their money. They are surely moving on to a new 2024 model. Forget your "AMD Fine Wine" fantasies lol.

Yes, it IS cheaper - mainly due to a lack of a G-SYNC model (let alone the Ultimate version - a huge draw for me), and a slightly lower and admittedly insignificant 165Hz vs 175Hz panel. It's cheaper for a reason.

I have yet to hear these "noisy cooling fans" that a few have complained about.

So knowing what I know now, I have zero regrets with the DW. G-SYNC, a slightly faster panel, excellent performance from day 1 and oh - 15 more months of enjoyment - made it worth every extra penny. And I don't mind that it's not all black, like almost everything else on the market. I never see the white backside or stand when I'm gaming. 😏

If you don't care about G-SYNC ULTIMATE and believe Dell might offer some useful firmware updates beyond the existing ones to fix performance issues that the original never had, then by all means, look at the DWF. It IS a better price!

Last edited:
I can't pay attention to those most time I play game. Sport games are too fast to notice those, horror games make me fixate on story and monster.

Well, horror games in particular look amazing in OLED because it does exactly what you want (and no other panel tech can do), make a dark scene actually look dark, versus a faded grey, possibly with a lot of backlight bleed.

I don't think you have seen an OLED monitor in person, but that's okay!

If you don't want to own (or pay for) an OLED monitor, great! But please don't deny its superiority until you have spent some time using one. I have 15 months of use, and can state that it is the best upgrade to my system ever.

The AW3423DWF is soo tempting...

I currently have an Asus PG279 (I think a newer version may have come out after mine which is a PG279Q which seems to be identical) which I've had for many years now (since 2014 perhaps?).

1140p, 27 inch, 165Hz refresh, IPS, it's a great monitor.
However, I don't know if its the external Power supply or something wrong with the screen itself, but it sometimes doesn't turn on and requires many steps to finally fix (just try again, try many times, take the power out and back in etc...)

It has "soon to die" smells.
Would you say the AW3423DWF is a considerable step up?
I too have PG279Q. From 2016. Thankfully mine is behaving normally. Some build quality issues tho - the ASUS logo on the bottom bezel is falling apart lol. AW3423DWF would be an upgrade on most metrics.

Horror games should be exactly where OLEDs shine. Display advantages aren’t something you’re supposed to “notice” while playing a game. But I guarantee once you’ve played on OLED for a while you will notice the drop in quality if you go back to LCD.

So my 2x 27" monitors use in total 35W when working, and I already think this is not perfect. The monitor AW3423DWF you recommend uses more than 100W when displaying a white webpage. You really live in another world ...

I am holding off for the 2nd Gen Samsung G8 OLED with the improved panel, 240hz, and G-Sync. I'm also hoping it will have the standard inputs and not the mini-hdmi/dp.

I have the G8, they include a micro-DP cable in the box.

The micro-HDMI was $5 from the local store. Not hard to get at all.

Since I need two monitors, I'll buy the 2nd Gen G8 the moment it drops, and dump my Arous 24" ugly second monitor.

So my 2x 27" monitors use in total 35W when working, and I already think this is not perfect. The monitor AW3423DWF you recommend uses more than 100W when displaying a white webpage. You really live in another world ...
You left out some important info, what are your monitors make and models?

Until burning still exist, I'll never buy an oled monitor.
It's true but for the cost of the superior technology like the miniled https://www.viewsonic.com/us/produc...i-Nnhd1nZqe0qIXnAWM1niv2tjJzNbSAaAqXsEALw_wcB
$2500 4k 144hz Viewsonic miniled 1400 HDR certified gsync monitor .

you can buy 3x 40 inch C2 oleds or anything similar to that price range.

update

FYI
Samsung’s Bleeding-Edge Odyssey Neo G9 Display to Launch on 23rd August
source
dp 2.1 240hz 57 inch
7,680×2,160 Display HDR 1000 certified quantum mini led
probably va technology.

Last edited:
I love my LG 45" UltraGear OLED 800R Curved Monitor with 240Hz 0.03ms Response Time -- Solid performance on all levels.

It doesn't make much logical sense to put the DW at 7 and the DWF at 1. Yes, with the latest firmware, the DWF is probably the better option to buy over the DW, because it can now be 1:1 to it, but that's where it ends for the most part.

I have the LG 27GR95QE - absolutely brilliant in game, and was only $750 on ebay brand new. Most fonts and programs work fine, but some system menus or whatever have the text look awful due to the subpixel layout. I have tried a few "fixes" online without much success. I guess there is some talk about Cleartype being modified for WRGB but SOL for now. I was going to go Alienware but lack of HDMI 2.1 killed that.

Back