Torchlight: Infinite is a Diablo Immortal-style ARPG for PC and mobile with less monetization

midian182

Staff member
In brief: The Torchlight series, one of several Diablo-style ARPGs that have arrived over the years, is taking a leaf out of its money-generating inspiration's playbook by releasing a completely free new title that's available on both PC and mobile. It's also not as monetization-hungry as one would expect, apparently.

This writer has hazy memories of enjoying the original Torchlight and Torchlight 2 around a decade ago. There was a third entry in the series back in 2020, made by Echtra Games rather than the since-shuttered Runic Games, but it received mixed reviews from critics and consumers alike.

With Shanghai-based XD Inc now at the reins, it appears that the new Torchlight, called Torchlight Infinite, is going down the same path as Blizzard by releasing on both PC and mobile while being free-to-play. However, unlike Diablo Immortal, there appears to be less focus on aggressive monetization.

XD Inc emphasizes that gears, affixes, crafting material, and upgrades on attributes are all loot-based, ensuring the game really does stay free-to-play. It adds that exclusive drops can only be obtained from power grinds and that the game has no stamina or cooldowns.

Being a F2P and a mobile game, Torchlight infinite isn't completely bereft of microtransactions. Users can spend money on a season pass, a monthly pass, the auction house, and premium currency bundles.

Torchlight Infinite started its closed beta on Steam yesterday ahead of the full launch next month; you can still request access to the playtest. Although all spending and progress will be reset once the beta ends, everything that players spent during the beta will be returned to them once the game launches in full.

The developers will no doubt hope that Torchlight Infinite will be able to avoid the negative reactions garnered by Diablo Immortal. Blizzard's title has a Metacritic user score of 0.3, thanks to 4,636 bad reviews and just 86 positive ones. But after generating almost $50 million in its first month, XD Inc will undoubtedly be happy if its title makes as much money.

Permalink to story.

Its so sad to see happen

Do you remember when Diablo 3 went down with a lead balloon the the hero torchlight 2 came in with non the microtransaction crap.

Diablo 3 was not my favorite game at launch, or even immediately after the first expansion, but here we are 10 years later, I still come back to play for an enjoyable couple weeks maybe 2-3 seasons a year, and I still haven't paid a dime more than my original $59 purchase. I'm pretty impressed with how much the tiny remaining D3 team, with no additional revenue sources, has done to keep me entertained over the years.

I wouldn't even mind if there was a way to contribute financially, but I love that not a single game mechanic is designed around trying to get me to pay for consumables to make the game more fun to play. There's fewer and fewer games like that out there.

Its so sad to see happen

Do you remember when Diablo 3 went down with a lead balloon the the hero torchlight 2 came in with non the microtransaction crap.

Why? I am playing it and it's a very good game even in the demo state. No monetization is pushed into my face, and all monetization is for cosmetics, everything else you can find or buy with in game currency. Diablo 3 is also a good game, people still play it.

Why? I am playing it and it's a very good game even in the demo state. No monetization is pushed into my face, and all monetization is for cosmetics, everything else you can find or buy with in game currency. Diablo 3 is also a good game, people still play it.
Diablo 3 is now. At launch is was a meas

Diablo 3 is now. At launch is was a meas
That's a matter of opinion. I know of people that liked it better at launch and quit later. I started playing it just before RoS and have been playing it on/off for years. I have no idea and can't claim if it was better or worse on launch, but I did buy the game from a person that quit when AH was removed.

I played D3 at launch and was hooked on it for every moment that I wasn't working or sleeping. Once I got to level 60 or whatever was the max then, I didn't last much longer and soon quit. Finding out late last year about the seasons and how much fun they are as well as what RoS expansion brought to it... It's been a blast now for many months. I cannot stop playing. Oh and the primals. So addicting.

I kind of don't even want D4 to be released because I know most folks will leave D3 and very likely that the seasons will come to an end. Oh well. All good things must end I guess.

:(

Its torchlight in name only. The company that made the first two is gone, and T3 was a steaming pile of unfinished bullshit that they abandoned after a year.

They failed to bring Torchlight 3 to GOG and now this nonsense? Really sad. TL 1 & 2 were great! Sad to see the dev company come to this..

Back