Torn between some smartphones

By Thyco
Aug 24, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hey all,

I currently have an iphone 4s and I am looking to upgrade to a new phone. The s4 and one screens are too big for my taste, so I was thinking about an s4 mini, xperia sp or xperia zr.

I mostly use my phone for surfing and watching movies during the commute. Also the occasional casual game, nothing too fancy.

I read in some reviews that the battery life of the s4 mini, especially for those 2 tasks is very good, but I find the phone to be a tad bit too expensive for the hardware it contains (around 390 euros).

The xperia sp on the other hand offers better hardware for a much lower price (319 euros), but I am finding statements about the battery life to be very conflicting. Anyone got some experience with this phone?

The xperia zr then, it looks very nice, but I am afraid the covers for the usb port and 3,5mm jack are not very solid and will be broken in a month or 2.

Anyone got some advice?
  2. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,725   +874

The S4 mini has beaten down specs. If you are not a spec freak, then go for it. Have you thought of the iPhone 5? Or maybe the iPhone 5S coming out next month.
  3. Thyco

Thyco Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Well, I have used iphones for 4 years now, I would rather get something else for a change. And the prices of the iphone are just not worth it anymore imo.
  4. JC713

Well, with iOS 7 on the corner, you may think otherwise. But nonetheless, I would go to the carrier store and try each of the contenders. It is personal preference. I would recommend the Xperia ZR since it is waterproof, more durable, and has a newer/better camera, OS, and CPU.
  5. amandatr04

amandatr04 Newcomer, in training

iPhone 5C does not doesn't officially exist
  6. JC713

The iPhone 5C is just an under-specced iPhone 5. Just get an Android.
    amandatr04 likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.