Toshiba a205-s5847 bios reset because of ram problems

By unloco101
Dec 3, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have been messing around with my Toshiba laptop for a while and had problems installing 4 gigs of ram into it. My a205-s5847 would not take a 2 gig stick of ram in the main top slot if the lower slot had a stick in it.. for example, My laptop came with two 1 gig slots filling the memory docks. If i upgraded to 3 gigs of ram, I had to have the 2 gig slot in the lower dock. If I wanted 4 gigs, i was SOL. If i wanted 2 gigs only, I could boot with either 2-1gig sticks, or 1-2gig stick in the top slot. Toshiba apparently installed hardware that matched windows vista-32 capabilities. Regardless, the point of this post is for one, to see if anyone has found a fix to this problem, and 2: One person I talked to spoke of resetting your bios, because it was holding the ram timing of my old 1 gig sticks and reseting the bios data would refresh it to the new ram timings.. After days of searching, i finally crossed my fingers and decide to try it.

(this resetting procedure works to remove forgotten passwords in bios, i tested it)

to reset the a205-s8545 laptop bios, you must remove your memory sticks and find a J1 jumper that is zig zagg and gold. it is directly under your memory and ****ed to the left side of the memory docks. I did this with my battery in, and held a screwdriver to short it for 25 seconds human count. human count is, not actual seconds, i just counted to 25 in a slow manner. I tried to replicate this with 15 human count seconds and it did not work. I also tried with-out the battery in, and it did not work. When i refer to the battery, i mean the laptop battery, not the cmos battery. I never tried with the power cable in. just in case I was doing something stupid, at least it would not hurt me. lol

Testing this theory was dumb, and i do not wish people to replicate shorting out random shiny objects in any piece of electronics. it can be deadly and/or cost you money. I will post a picture tomorrow of the actual jumper, and of my model number so there are no confusions. I just want a documentation for people with my laptop so they don't have to go through my trial and error. This resets time/date/settings/passwords on toshiba a205-s5847

if anyone has any information on the Toshiba 3gig memory limit, please let me know

tdgeddes at gmail.com
  2. unloco101

unloco101 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

btw... This is site was the most hits i got on this topic, so I want other electronic soldiers in my predicament to get help too =)
  3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

4. unloco101

unloco101 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I have been to tallil a few times in the past 6 months doing missions with 4th ID and our ch-47's. We're stationed out of Taji and I am on EML right now about to head back saturday the 6th of dec but that is besides the point.

The ram I installed were 2 sticks of ddr2 pc5300 2-gigs. The ram i took out were 2 sticks of ddr2 pc5300 1-gig. My POST checks the memory up to 1gig and hangs. I have swapped out the ram in my wifes Dell to ensure that the memory was good and it ran fine in all configurations and I checked it about 10 times.
    There are of course not even a slight bit of options pertaining to anything important in my BIOS, but with both sticks of new memory in i can enter BIOS setup as I do not let POST complete its test and in BIOS it shows the full 4 gigs.

So I guess since I got this sucker for 450 at the PX, I get what I pay for. lol Its only meant to work for online school purposes anyway, but I do like to play stuff like warhammer 40k dawn of war when I get some down-time. I figured a upgrade of ram would help me out when I start to get lagged out during large-scale war. Meh.

So now the question is, 2gigs dual channel, or 3 gigs non dual channel? I'm guessing the 3-gigs.

Tim
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.