Toshiba announces Excite X10 tablet, arriving mid-Q1 2012

Jos

Remember that sleek AT200 tablet Toshiba announced at last year's IFA conference in Berlin but never actually made it to market? Well, the company is kicking off its CES announcements today by re-announcing the 10.1-inch tablet while giving it an official commercial name: the Excite X10.

The device is incredibly thin at 7.7mm (about a mm slimmer than the iPad 2 and Galaxy Tab) and features an aluminum back that's more attractive than the glossy, smudge-prone plastic that envelopes many existing tablets. Its Corning Gorilla Glass covered IPS panel provides wide viewing angles and a native 1280 x 800 resolution, while processing is taken care of by a dual-core 1.2GHz TI OMAP 4430. Back in September this was touted as superior to Nvidia's Tegra 2 but we'll have to see how it holds up next to quad-core Tegra 3 tablets.

In terms of connectivity you can expect 802.11n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0, as well as micro-sized USB, HDMI and SD ports in order to maintain a slender profile. Other features include DLNA support, GPS and built-in compass, dual HD Cameras (2MP front, 5MP back) with 1080p video capture and stereo speakers with SRS. At least initially, there won't be any mobile broadband connectivity options for this tablet.

Toshiba says it expects to ship the Excite X10 with Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" when the device hits the market sometime around mid Q1 2012. It will come in 16GB and 32GB capacities for $529 and $599, respectively. This will be the company's premium tablet offering, while the existing Toshiba Thrive will remain their 'mainstream' option starting at $380 for 8GB, $400 for 16GB, and $480 for 32GB. Toshiba is also launching a 4G AT&T HSPA+ option for the 16GB Thrive at CES for $480 -- no contract required.

In addition to its new 10-inch tablet, Toshiba will also be showing off the Portégé Z835 Ultrabook at CES. The 13.3-inch laptop features a 1366x768 matte display, second-generation Intel Core processors and integrated Intel graphics, 128GB SSD and 4GB of RAM, a full-sized backlit and spill resistant keyboard, three USB ports (one USB 3.0), HDMI and VGA-out, Wi-Fi, and WiDi. Pricing starts at just $819 on ToshibaDirect.com.

Permalink to story.

Easy to what is happening and the same as with smartphones. The makers didn't just try to get up to iPad specs, they surpassed them and this year buyers will start choosing Android, exactly like they did for phones. History always repeats itself, in tech as well.

I'm sick of these "premium offerings" when their first tablet was already premium to begin with. 1280x800? That's not premium.

It's all a lazy excuse not to cut prices after a product has been on the market for almost an entire year. Crippled OS, crippled port choices, non-swappable battery, absent keyboard -- costs the same as a laptop.

All it does is reinforce the notion that a tablet is something I really don't need. Rather, something they're simply trying really hard to sell.

Call me when you're through fleecing consumers.

Hate saying it, but at $30 MORE than an iPad2 without any real distinction from a $300 Acer Iconia A500, can you say failure? Especially given that you can buy an Asus Transformer PRIME QUAD CORE w. 32 GB for $499, whereas this 16GB dual core is $30 MORE? Are tech executives really THIS stupid???

I only say for me but I would pick this tablet over Transformer Prime cos I think dual core is fast enough for anything now. And this is the best looking tablet so far IMO. After all, tablet is as much about style as function.

Say what you will about Apple (I personally boycott them), but if they didn't constantly up the bar (quality) on their products like iPad, we would still be playing with legos. It's been almost 20 years and we still can't seem to get a good display. All to say, Apple will be releasing the new iPad3 with WAY better resolution.

and in regards to this Toshiba Excite X10 tablet - a poor attempt at catchup.

inventix1136 said:
Are tech executives really THIS stupid???

Yes,

Also to add, I work at a tech repair company and both Directors don't even know how to turn a pc on. Well that might be a slight exaggeration but you get my drift, they really know nothing about IT.

Pass. The Asus Transformer Prime is far ahead of this and any other tablet current or announced. It's a bummer because I was hoping to see some undercutting of the Prime so that Asus would be forced to drop its price to around $400.

Back