Toshiba announces self-deleting hard drive technology

Jos

Staff

Toshiba today announced it has developed a new technique, dubbed Wipe, that will make self-encrypting drives even more secure by automatically erasing data upon removing them from a system or when the system itself is powered down. Needless to say, this is not something that would make its way into consumer PCs. The company is targeting it at high-security environments and for rented or other equipment that is due for return, sale or disposal.

Wipe can be used to secure data on office machines, such as copiers and printer systems with storage devices on board, that retain a good deal of sensitive data. The technology works simply by invalidating the security key used to encrypt data on the drive when the power supply is interrupted, instantly making all content unreadable. The approach is much simpler to accomplish than overwriting a hard drive with zeroes or extracting it from the device and degaussing it.

No mention has been made of when or how Wipe would be implemented on hard drives, though it's likely to be limited to Toshiba's self-encrypting hard drive models for now.

Permalink to story.

thatguyandrew92 said:
"Hey Jim, I'm just gonna move your harddrvie"

Jim (in slowmo) "Noooooooo"
Not only did you laugh you also made me understand the article :D
(English is not my primary language...)

All I can think of is that one of the buildings that we had a server sitting in had a very nice UPS, one small problem, nothing was plugged into it.

***Alert power outage***

If the servers at that location had been built using this technology, BAM! All data lost...god I would have laughed...then cried...then quit XD

Back