TechSpot

Toshiba celebrates laptop milestone with new models

By Julio Franco
Jun 21, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toshiba is celebrating the 25th anniversary of its first laptop with a second wave of mobile releases this month, following the various new models that we detailed a week ago including their first 3D-capable Satellite notebook. Two of the most interesting releases of the day are new Portege R700 13-inch thin and light system and the eye-catching new Libretto W100 UMPC that sports dual 7-inch multitouch screens.

Read the whole story
  2. maxdakota

maxdakota Newcomer, in training

For those who want large battery time, this new laptop will be good hope as The R700 will run for up to eight hours on a single charge of its six-cell battery, according to Thomas Teckentrup, Toshiba's general manager of product development and strategy.
  3. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 972   +30

The Libretto W100 immediately caught my eye. A bit of a web search found a few more specs (here: http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2010_06/pr2101.htm). The 2 hour battery life sounds pretty disappointing, and the 4 hour battery ups the weight from 699g to 819g. Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/21/toshiba-libretto-w100-resurrects-the-classic-umpc-brand-with-dua/) quotes a price of $1099 and talks about its hands-on experience with an early version.

Even with all its limitations, I find this quite appealing. The dual screens make the normally too limited 1024x600 resolution bearable, and the CPU is decent enough to run limited games (though I wonder how comfortable it is to play with the touch keyboard), unlike the Atom. Decent RAM and SSD, too, for the form factor.
  4. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,073   +75

While the W100 looks badass, I think the $1K+ pricetag, and shoddy 2 hour battery life, will make most people shy away from it.
  5. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 972   +30

You're right, but it's still on my list of nice to haves. I've been waiting for a good replacement for my Fujitsu P1510D, and that's one device that I think would fill that slot.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.