TechSpot

Toshiba keyboard not working everytime

By jimmycooper
Mar 24, 2009
  1. I have a Toshiba Satellite A205-S4777 laptop. The keyboard is not working correctly. It is not registering every letter I type. It's almost as if I'm not actually pushing all the keys down everytime, but I am. I will have to stop mid-word and push the letter (or space) that I am trying to type a couple of times and it will finally register. I went to "Control Panel... Keyboard" but nothing in there seems to fix my situation. It makes it extremely difficult to type e-mails, Word documents, ANYTHING! It slows down the process because I am constantly having to backspace and fix whatever didn't register. I don't know what to do and any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,257   +92

3. jimmycooper

jimmycooper TS Rookie Topic Starter

There are no specific keys that won't work. It's rather random. I will be typing and keys that I hit just won't register. I hear and feel them click... I know they are being hit, they just won't show up (including space bar too).

I really don't know anything about taking apart a laptop to get the keyboard out... I will have to see if a friend does.

Also... it's just random when it does it... for example, I haven't had one problem right now typing this reply, but earlier today, when I started the original thread it was so bad that I literally couldn't get two words typed without having to hit "backspace" and retype them.

4. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,257   +92

You might want to try using the keyboard in another environment to ensure that it's not something software related in Windows/malware etc. (Like a LiveCD or something)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.