Toshiba laptop audio problem

I am not to clued up on computers so please understand if i dont make myself clear
My son came to me and said his laptop had no sound,so I tried to find the problem.
I found there was a yellow mark against the media audio controller in the device manager and no device showing in the sound and audio properties.So I read through some earlier threads about this problem,went to the toshiba site and downloaded the Soundmax digital audio driver and installed it.
Went back to the device manager no yellow marks,went to sound and audio properties and it showed the default device as Soundmax digital audio,so I thought I had sorted the problem but alas, I have no sound from the speakers but have sound out of the headphones socket.
Sorry about the long post but it was the only way I could expain it.

It is a Toshiba
Satellite Pro A10
model PSA15E-01PJY-EN
os Windows XP Home
Version 2002
Service Pk 3
motherboard Intel i852GM

Thanks in advance for any help,
Brian.

Tried the Realtek AC97 drivers and it still showed no sound system installed,so i went to Toshiba site to download the correct one which was soundmax audio,which it did install and showed it was installed but still did not work.As a last resort i used the recovery disc and it still did not work,i have since found out it could be the switch that operates when you plug or unplug the headphones (this seems to be quite a common problem with some earlier Toshiba laptops.

Back