TechSpot

Toshiba laptop freezing on logo screen after chkdsk

By Teagan
Dec 25, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Two days ago I was working on my laptop and I ran into a problem (forget what it was) and a pop up said I should run the chkdsc utility. I did as it said and after running it, it said I needed to restart the computer. When I restarted it, it just froze on the start-up screen (the Toshiba logo screen). My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A205-S5331 and Im running Windows Vista ( which I think sux).
    At the bottom of the Toshiba logo screen it says hit f2 for set up or F12 for boot device selection menu but neither works. I hold the F2 as I power it on and it just says please wait and does nothing else. When I do the F12 it just says entering boot device selection menu and then nothing happens. I also tried removing the hard drive and it does the same thing, I tried removing the ram and replacing it. Tried holding the power button for 30 seconds and nothing seems to work. I would be eternally greatful if someone could help me. My laptop had alot of my 6 year old sons pics and my husband who is in the mid-east. I really hope they arent lost. Thank you in advance for any pointers you could give me or ideas of things to try.

Teagan

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

Take your harddrive and slave it into another system and access it via that system. Do the following:

1. Run antivirus, antispyware/malware programs.

2. Do a harddrive diagnostics. Seagate's Seatools will work with Toshiba harddrives. it is free and can be burned to a CD. Do the tests in this order: SMART, Short DST, and especially the Long DST.