Toshiba laptop isn't working

Status
Not open for further replies.

haidar

i have a toshiba laptop it started to stuff up so i decided to reformat it there was no space so i had to delete the partition
as it was deleting it got stuk on 22%
so i had to restart it now nothings working on it when i tun it on it says missing ntldr or something

and then i tried to delete the partition again to copy the new windows on it and it froze again on 22%
i waited like 1 hour thinking maybe that file is big but nope still not working can someone please help me
and i also tried to install windows it keeps saying setup cannot copy this and setup canot copy that
so wat do i do

please
please

please

many thanks
haidar

Boot from the Windows CD
But this time remove the Partition (you'll see the prompt to press L to delete)
Then continue setup
Do not manually create the partition
Do not format
Just continue, once the partition(s) is removed

toshiba laptop not working

i allready tried that and it didnt work aswell its all freezing and not working the laptop is now empty minded
do you have any sofware that i could download and put on a cd to fix this problem

or can you give me a link to something to download to fix this problem
please try your best to help me sove this
and also everything is deleted of the computer now so it doesnt open to the max

please please

thankyou very much
haidar

ok thanks for your time for looking for these links ill have a look at them and get back to you asap

many thanks to you for your help
thanks again
haidar

ok i downloaded that delpart.exe but how do i make it boot on a computer that doesnt even have any thing on it i turn it on it says loading windows xp and then it says missing ntldr

or does it just boot by its self like windows xp does

please help me

thankyou
haidar

If the info link is too hard to understand, just use Gparted live boot CD
Anyway, that's generally what all use
Maybe I won't quote that delpart thingy to others, it is good and quick. But I just can't explain all the steps to create a boot disc

please just give me the steps to create a boot disk

please please

thankyou for your help

haidar

Sorry I was on the phone :)

Now Boot Disk ?

Um I linked to the Boot Disks that you can download up there ^^
Basically you download the BootDisk add Delpart to it (you need burning software for this like UltraISO)
Then burn it
Then boot from it

But I'm pretty sure that's going to be too hard for you to do, if never done before
Not to rub it in, but it would take me say 5mins to do! But I've got all the licensed programs to do it with!

Just download Gparted (linked above again)
And burn the ISO to disc using your CD burning software
If you don't have ISO burning software use this one (it's free) http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

ok thanks im giving it a try now ill get back to you later thanks for all your help and time

thankyou
haidar

it didnt work the same thing is happening again and again i dont know whats wrong with this damn laptop it was working perfectly 3 days ago please help me solve this problem .

nothings working i put windows xp cd in it and as it is reformatting it freezing it happened like 3 times
and it also freezes while its deleting a partition

please help me
thanks
haidar

This may be a faulty HardDrive
Please run a Drive Diagnostics on your HardDrive

I believe it would also be ideal to complete a Ram test
Please run Memtest on your Ram

Both these tests (on Hardware) will help you significantly, in diagnosing the issue

Memtest must be run for 4 hrs, as per my Memtest guide

These tools and support info replies, are made for your benefit, it is strongly advised for you to follow them exactly

Okay, you are having a problem with your computer because it freezes in the middle of formatting? Or is it copying the files for Windows when it freezes?

In either case, if you boot from the CD, and then it freezes during the initial format, or the initial file copy, then you most likely have one of the following problems:

1) Something in the hardware is causing your computer to freeze.
2) The install CD is bad, and is causing the computer to freeze.

Try another install CD if all else fails, if that doesn't work, then you might have a hardware problem.

See what happens with the memtest is a good start, as a problem with the RAM could cause such a freeze on install of windows.

Also, is there any overheat likely? Does the computer get hot after running for a long time?

If the computer is getting hot, then there's a chance of it being a problem with it overheating. If it overheats, it can freeze up if your motherboard's temperature sensor doesn't shut it off, and eventually it'd destroy itself.
Other than that, it could quite possibly be a problem with your RAM or your motherboard.

Also, if it had a problem writing to the hard disk drive on install, it could cause it to freeze.
That goes back to the partition thing, if it had some sort of anomaly in the partition, it might cause the install to freeze.

ok i ran the memtest it says pass on the top of it .

so do you know what the problem is when it says pass

thank you
haidar

If it says pass, not much we can determine from that, except that its not likely to be the memory, and most likely not an overheat problem, cause it ran for 4 hours, and didn't crash on the Memtest.

Next step would be to replace the hard disk drive, as I understand that all partition / reformat attempts were unsuccessful in solving the problem.
As I understand, booting from a non-windows based CD and trying to wipe the drive was unsuccessful, so I'm going for that this is a hard disk drive error.

Now, depending on the type, a typical hard disk drive would cost you between 50$ and 200$. (Depending on size, speed)

Now, since I take it you don't know loads about computers, I'd have someone in your area take a look at it before getting a new hard disk drive, because that costs money, and may not solve your problem if I'm wrong.

It could still be the motherboard or something, although that's unlikely due to the fact that it successfully ran the memtest w/o problem.
It could be a problem with your motherboard's controller, as opposed to the actual drive.

Also, how old is this laptop?

im doing another memtest at the moment its been overnight and it still didnt finish i think it froze because its been well over 6 hours

what do i do i think i should just throw it away or something im never going to get toshiba again in my life .

thanks
haidar

How old is the laptop?
If its new, check if its under warranty. Sometimes something on your motherboard goes bad, and you gotta either get the board replaced, or get a new machine. Its not unique to Toshiba, as I've seen plenty of Sony, HP, Compaq, etc.

I'd highly recommend you take it to a local technician to see if they can get something more out of it if the computer is not under warranty and is not over a year old.

If its a really old laptop, I'd say get another one, cause if the motherboard is bad, then you're pretty much going to pay more in parts and labor than its worth.

download Hiren's BootCD, it have a lot of stuff (diagnostics,partitioning,recovering etc.) burn it on an CD and boot it...before you boot it read what it contains and see which tool is best for your problem or you can print that...it helps me in a lot of situations...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back