Toshiba Laptop won't start up

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok then... i have a toshiba laptop and it is pretty old it is a TOSHIBA satellite A80
whenever i turn it on, it just makes 4 short beeps and does not start up. I have googled it and found that my motherboard timer doesn't work and i am not sure what this means so is it possible to fix this myself or should i get it to some place to fix it or just buy a newer laptop?
thanks for the help

Another possibility is that it is a ram error. (see https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic95391.html)
You might try removing one of your ram modules, and seeing if you get anywhere (swap modules and locations... 4 possible combinations total).

If it is the timer IC, you are probably better off replacing the laptop rather than trying to have it repaired.
I don't know if a shop would consider doing it for you or not... all you could do is ask..
But then... what if that was only the tip of the iceberg... which piece goes next?

If swapping memory doesn't work, then if it were mine, I would just get a new laptop.
That is just my opinion.

Often, on that model of Toshiba system board, the cmos battery has gone bad. On some models, it is a removable 2032. On other models, it is soldered in under the keyboard. Remove the keyboard by removing the screws from the bottom, then look for a strange looking battery on two wires... you can get the number of the battery and order one online from eBay or from Toshiba. Cost will be under $20 if wired in, plus someone to perform the re-soldering. If a 2032, they are available at Wal-Mart and other fine stores for about $4.50 though some computer stores will charge you $14.
If it is not the battery, you can replace the systemboard on eBay for about $60, but this is a great time to replace the entire thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back