Toshiba launches X-gale SSD modules for ultra-thin laptops

Jos

Staff

Toshiba today announced a new generation of SSD modules designed for use in space-sensitive devices with high capacity storage requirements. Called Blade X-gale, the drives come in 64GB, 128GB and 256GB versions and have a maximum sequential read and write speed of 220 and 180MB/s, respectively. They look like normal sticks of RAM but upon closer inspection you’ll notice the little SATA connector on the end for plugging into a system’s SATA sockets.

These are reportedly the very same SSDs Apple uses in its new MacBook Air models so we’ll likely see a new crop of ultra-slim laptops using Blade X-gale modules for storage. All models measure 24mm x 109mm. The two smaller units are just 2.2mm thick, while the 256GB model is 3.7mm. The new drives are available now to OEMs; Toshiba won't be selling these to the public - at least not initially - since systems need to be built specially for the form factor.

Permalink to story.

I'm wondering the efficiency these run on. Could we be seeing a new standard for long term storage? Instead of buying a hdd and plugging it into power and a sata cable, do you think mother boards will someday incorporate straight ssd interfaces for memory like these? I get excited by any new technology so this seems pretty awesome to me.

It does sound pretty awesome, well, until we found out the price. Then it will probably lose some of its awesomeness...

taea00 said:
Instead of buying a hdd and plugging it into power and a sata cable, do you think mother boards will someday incorporate straight ssd interfaces for memory like these?

I'm sure in a few years everything will be onboard. Just about the only thing that is not onboard now is storage, so chips like these are the start.

Ironically the future computer will probably end up like the first computer I can remember using, a keyboard with all the guts inside of it. I think it was a Sinclair of some sort, judging by the rainbow I remember on it. Slap a keyboard over a fully packed mobo and you have a computer.

I'm sure these make up a large portion of the cost of the Macbook Airs. They will certainly be out of my price-range when they finally hit the consumer market. They will pave the way for smaller systems which is nice. The more SSD drives out there, the cheaper they get right?

This would make more portable laptops. I see laptops becoming more powerful over the next few years. This is especially true with SSD and new CPUs. I am looking forward to the Fusion CPU from Nvidia. The only thing i wish they would do is put the power port directly in the battery. That way we wouldn't have such an issue when it goes out.

Once their stocks of regular hard drives run out, they'd decrease SSD prices and maybe even release those 4tb SSD drives tucked away in some storehouse.

I do love the size of those things. Hopefully, I wouldn't be dead yet when they release it for desktops. Just imagine: shoving ssds and dimms on your mobo for your drastically shrunk down case while maintaining gaming pc quality.

Oh wait... Gaming laptops do exist that get outdated immediately.

I do hope that they finally release those ultra-gaming supercomputers that can fit in the palm of your hand that they're hiding in some top secret military facility somewhere.

SSD hardware is becoming more and more appealing every day. once the industry can reduce costs and drive down the price, i think demand will REALLY pick up on these babies.

thedrelle said:
SSD hardware is becoming more and more appealing every day. once the industry can reduce costs and drive down the price, i think demand will REALLY pick up on these babies.

I agree. I wasn't about to risk capacity and buy SSDs at first, but this new line of SSDs is simply mouthwatering.

256GB is physically thicker (3.7mm vs. 2.2mm) than the 64GB and 128GB, this could be the reason Apple only included the smaller two variants in the 11 inch Air due to physical space constraint .

Demons said:
I'm sure these make up a large portion of the cost of the Macbook Airs. They will certainly be out of my price-range when they finally hit the consumer market. They will pave the way for smaller systems which is nice. The more SSD drives out there, the cheaper they get right?
Yep.
Anyways, after waiting for ssd's do get cheaper, my guess is something new will appear.

Whoo nice way to go Toshiba, this is a jump forward for laptops but the price is very high in my opinion... I still prefer Desktops =P

Looks quite fragile. Would make a lot more sense and secure if they had some kind of rigid casing or jacket to protect in the case of dropping, bending and other extreme conditions.

Maybe in a not too far future we will get a Mobo with 32Gb SSD stick to it just for the OS, or at least I would like to see that... though it will be expensive.

Back