Toshiba Protege A600-S2201 eeprom password reset

I have been researching this for sometime now and have tried many suggestions but unfortunately I have yet to come across the solution needed.

I recently installed a bios update and now I am stuck at power on with the request of "Password:" where the first two attempts are returned with "Not Certified" followed by the third "Not Certified, the system is shutting down" and the laptop shuts down.

Either I set and do not remember or did not set a password (possibly the BIOS upgrade?). Getting past my forgetfulness or poor practice with passwords as a possibility I am in search of help to get back into my laptop.

I have inspected the motherboard somewhat thoroughly and have not identified a means to reset or remove the password requirement for this model, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I have performed the following (Toshiba Protege A600-S2201):
  • Restart pressing Esc, F1, F2, F8, F10, F12 and C
    • No Success
  • Tried Password "Toshiba"
    • No Success
  • Disconnection of CMOS Backup or RTC Battery (>8 Hours)
    • No Success
  • Shorted leads where Battery connects
    • No Success
  • Identifying markers
    • Not found
Thank you in advance

Other than taking it to Toshiba authorized service center, I would try a couple of 'passwords' - namely {blank} (ie, nothing at all) and {single space} (ie, a single space bar character) - just on the off chance this somehow became active when you were finishing up the BIOS update. My reasoning is that if you did not actually set a password, then it is likely that it would only be a single character.

These wildguess ideas probably won't work - you have my sympathies.

Back