Toshiba refreshes notebook lineup, ships 3D model to US

By Matthew
Jun 15, 2010
  1. Toshiba refreshed its notebook lineup this morning, adding various new models as well as polishing some existing offerings. Most of the new units are standard fare, but a few stand out: the 3D-capable Satellite A665 and the Optimus-equipped M645.

Read the whole story
  2. coolazeem

coolazeem TS Rookie Posts: 21

There's a typo(Toshbia) in the article title
  3. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 5,260   +92

Thanks -- corrected.
  4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,550   +594

"...but if you've already dismissed 3D media as a fad, other A66x-series notebooks start as low as $799."

Trust me - it's a fad. ;)
  5. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,291   +55

@TomSEA: I agree. Same fad as the last 5 times they tried it.
  6. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,885   +640

It may be a fad, but obviously is the most convincing fad so far! Convincing enough people actually will buy this!
  7. AfricanTech

AfricanTech TS Rookie Posts: 69's a fad - had an opportunity this evening to "experience" the Sony 3D setup with the "super special active glasses" - it's a fad - how they are managing to pull off this con I don't know...
  8. matrix86

matrix86 TS Guru Posts: 811   +26

I think that right now it's a fad, but it will eventually become the future. If we can do it so there is no need for glasses (like the new Nintendo 3DS is working on) then 3D will start to kick in. Right now, the glasses are too expensive and just cause headaches for most people (I could go hours with no problem, but one of my friends and my wife can't last 15 minutes). There is still some improvement to be made (the annoying glasses and the limited viewing angle) but society has shown that it is interested in this technology, so manufacturers will continue to perfect it. 3D is NOT going to go away forever. It'll have its off times, but it aint going to just disappear forever.

And now I step down from my soap box, lol.
  9. The main things I see wrong with the 3D model is the lowly DX10 GPU with DDR3,no USB 3 ports and a crappy resolution(1366x768).

Why not 1920x1080 for Full HD to watch Blu ray movies on the included player?

A+ though for the 740QM CPU.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.