TechSpot

Toshiba Satelite L20 wont boot

By Phelios
Jul 8, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I use this computer for around 2 years already. but, from 4 months ago, it started to show strange behavior.
    For example if I restart it, I have to wait for 5 - 10 minutes after it shut down to boot again.

It's still looking good. However, it was solved using a cooler. If the cooler is plugged, it can be restarted immediately.

However, the problem getting worser now. I can't boot my computer without cooler plugged into the laptop. Anyone know how to solve this?
    Thanks....

2. lamo

lamo TS Rookie Posts: 570

where exactly you connect the cooler? in USB connector?

3. Phelios

Phelios TS Rookie Topic Starter

Using USB. The computer can detect it though hasn't boot up the system.

4. lamo

seems like lack of 5v current. it can be overvoltage via USB-bus. or it can be faulty southbridge chip.

5. lamo

don't use equipment like lighters or fans, which connects to USB. it's dangerous.

6. Phelios

But, I can't start the computer without it...
    Any solution for this?

7. lamo

ah! this is the problem. i can only propose to replace southbridge chip. at least i would do this.

8. Phelios

Hahh?
    what is it btw? where to find the chip?

9. lamo

phelios, if you have equipment for BGA soldering, you can replace it, but i suspect, it will be much easier for you to replace the MB.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.