Toshiba Satellite 1135-S155 no wireless networks available

Hi...

I have a Toshiba Satellite 113-S155 that is currently unable to do anything wireless. The internal wireless card that came with the computer is an Intel ProWireless 2200BG and I also have tried using a Belkin wireless USB adapter as well to connect, with no success. I updated the drivers on the Intel card, so I'm almost certain that's not the issue, and I've tried the Belkin on another computer with no problems.

I have a clean install of Windows XP Pro running on the system with nothing else present, but for some reason I cannot get it to find any semblance of a wireless network, even when I am sitting next to another computer that finds multiple ones to connect to. I've made sure the switch on the side is on, checked all of my settings and the like, but to no avail.

I'm pretty much at a loss right now as to what to do with this computer, as there is no logical explanation for why I cannot find a single network in my wireless settings. It's as if there is something internal inside the laptop preventing it from displaying anything wireless, and I have no idea what it could be.

Hopefully someone can help me out and give me a few options to try to fix this. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Cheers.

The built in wireless card might have failed but the USB should have worked. Typically when you install USB wireless adapters, you install the driver/software package first, reboot and then insert the adapter in the USB slot. If you install the adpater before this it might not work correctly. Did you follow this procedure?

Toshiba comes with Config Free and a Radar tool to show near-by routers.

a) did you attempt to use the WiFi Network Wizard?

b) does Radar show anything?

humm; most laptops have the 802.11b/g mode adaptors which will not connect (or see)
the A or N mode routers.

Which router (make & model) are you using???

I ran into a similar problem with a couple of laptops: the wireless just kept shutting off, for no good reason. The switch was on, but the computers couldn't connect.

The problem was, the system would shut off the wireless adapter as a power-conservation option. Have you tried disabling that?

Back