TechSpot

Toshiba Satellite a215 wireless switch won't enable

By jomofosho
Nov 24, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Can somebody please help me. I upgraded my wireless card to an "Intel Wifi Link 5100" Wireless ABGN mini pci-e card. I was able to successfully get all of the drivers installed and hardware recognized. However, according to the Intel Proset Wireless Manager, it states that I need to turn on the physical hardware switch. The problem is...with the new card in place, switching the on/off button doesn't change the status or turn on the LED light.

I found in these forums that for the mini pci (not the mini pci-e) cards, you can actually cover up pins 11 and 13 to make it work. I can't seem to find any information on the pci-e card.

Additional information:Several people have suggested to install the model specific Wireless configuration utility that may be able to turn the hardware switch on. For the Toshiba, I installed Configfree, but it won't turn the switch or LED on.

All device drivers are installed and working properly. For this Toshiba model, there is no wireless enable/disable found in the BIOS either.

I'm hoping that there are certain pins that can be covered in the pci-e card to override the default hardware switch!!! Hopefully somebody out there will know.

Thanks.

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Borrow a good book on Wireless networks... You are missing a few things on how such devices work, and a full understanding will help you a lot from here on out.

3. jomofosho

jomofosho TS Rookie Topic Starter

Are you referring to a Windows wireless book or something more along the lines of a Toshiba specific book? Just a little more clarification would be helpful considering there are so many aspects of wireless networking. What kinds of things would you suggest I am missing?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.