Toshiba Satellite laptop

My name is Ken and I am trying to repair a customer's Toshiba Satellite laptop. It had Windows XP loaded and when it boots it will only get as far as:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I saw on one website to press 0, F1 or F8 to get the hard drive disk utility to come up on the screen but it only displays the message that I detailed above. I also ensured that the CD/DVD was the first boot device and I tried to reload the operating system with a Win XP disk that I have but the same message appears.
I cannot get past this message no matter what I do.
And to make matters worse, the customer doesn't have the original Setup CD-ROM. I guess what i'm looking for is an original setup disk.

Which O.S are u using

U didnt specify the o.s u re using but from my experience with o.s i guess it is win xp. Now if u can get a sata win x.p with will correct the issue,note there is the normal x.p software and there is also sata get that and see the end result

Back