TechSpot

Toshiba Satellite laptop

By kdavis1049
Jan 29, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. My name is Ken and I am trying to repair a customer's Toshiba Satellite laptop. It had Windows XP loaded and when it boots it will only get as far as:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system
    You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I saw on one website to press 0, F1 or F8 to get the hard drive disk utility to come up on the screen but it only displays the message that I detailed above. I also ensured that the CD/DVD was the first boot device and I tried to reload the operating system with a Win XP disk that I have but the same message appears.
    I cannot get past this message no matter what I do.
    And to make matters worse, the customer doesn't have the original Setup CD-ROM. I guess what i'm looking for is an original setup disk.
  2. Samtech

Samtech TS Rookie

Which O.S are u using

U didnt specify the o.s u re using but from my experience with o.s i guess it is win xp. Now if u can get a sata win x.p with will correct the issue,note there is the normal x.p software and there is also sata get that and see the end result
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,408   +314

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.