Toshiba Satellite M40/M45 help

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys! well, a few weeks ago my laptop stopped working (The one in the title) I obviously was depressed because I have a lot of things on my laptop. The problem is that I get to the boot screen, where it allows me to go into safe mode, start windows normally etc etc. Then it will do the countdown 'til it starts windows normally. but, as soon as I hit Enter, or the countdown is done, it freezes on that screen. I tried editing my BIOs, maybe there is more I can do in there, not
completely sure. I blew into the vents and tried to blow out any dust. I opened some of the computer, and sprayed some aerosol to clear out any dust on w.e I did open. ( I couldn't figure out how to open the whole bottom/back of the computer ) I also tried using the recovery disc, but it is not recognizing the disc drive. By this, I mean that it is not loading anything from the disc drive. I also tried to install another operating system (Mandriva Linux, DSL, and Ubuntu Linux) All help will be appreciated,
Thanks,
-CJP

P.S. If someone can help me with also opening the whole laptop that may help as well.

Hmm... from what I am reading I think this thread should be moved to the "Windows OS" Forums, so if it is supposed to be moved, I do request and admin/moderator move this thread.
Thanks,
-CJP

That sounds like a possible hardware problem.
You say it will not boot off a CD/DVD?
If so, check that the bios settings are set to check the CD for bootable media first.
If it still doesn't boot, it may be an issue with your BIOS, or possibly the CD / DVD drive, or both.

The hard disk drive could have also failed, causing the portion with critical components to become unreadable.

Thanks for the replies. I will try to take apart my computer and see if it is something that can be fixed in that way. If it's a problem with the BIOs will I be able to fix it? Without buying replacement parts? Also, if my hard disc has failed, will I be able to fix this problem without buying a new hard drive?
Thanks,
-CjP

If its a problem with the BIOS, as in the actual chips in there... no. Time to get a new computer. Unless you've got degrees in Computer Science, Computer engineering, and Electrical Engineering... and a clean room with micro soldering tools... time to get a new computer or a new motherboard at least.

If its a problem with the Hard Disk Drive, you will NOT be able to fix it without buying another hard disk drive.

Hardware problems require new parts... and from what you've said... it sounds like a hardware problem.

I highly advise you do not take apart a laptop unless you really know what you're doing... like, REALLY know what you're doing. Otherwise it WON'T go back together, and you could end up further damaging components.

If its the hard disk drive, you could probably replace that easily because its just one panel on the bottom usually.

If its the motherboard in a laptop... that's usually time to get another computer... because getting another motherboard would be nearly impossible, let alone replacing it yourself.

hi all

you guys are jumping to far ahead. try what pryomaster said first go into the bios and check to make sure that the boot order is correct. make sure that the cdrom is set to boot before the hdd. if it still dont boot from your discs try cleaning the the disc or try some other bootable cd to rule out your recovery cds

I think ibnyinc is right... we're getting ahead of ourselves.
Check the setting in the BIOS for the boot order.
Make sure it has CD-ROM / DVD as the first choice, then the Hard disk Drive.
If there's a floppy, I usually make that first, then the CD-ROM, then HDD. (HINT: Make sure there's no floppy in the drive when you boot though... it will return "bad boot disk" or similar message if there is one in there that's not a boot floppy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back