Toshiba Satellite not showing wireless networks

Status
Not open for further replies.
my laptoop is not showing any available networks in networking. the device seems to be working properly according to windows device manager. recently have run some anti-spyware, reg cleaners etc. system seems to be running well, better than ever, but now can't find networks. any ideas out there?

related to configfree problem?

so i think i successfully uninstalled and reinstalled configfree, except that now i get a message when i try to run cfmain and cfsserv and ndstray, 'this program only works for a toshiba system'! ndsbrow works fine and shows me cinfigfree details. still nothing at all in the network connections folder. don't know how else to access wireless options. any help out there?

Personally, the Toshiba drivers were better for me. Everytime I updated with the Intel, I lost WiFi connectivity

... try reinstalling the Common Support package ...

It has the ConfigFree utility in it

Personally, the Toshiba drivers were better for me. Everytime I updated with the Intel, I lost WiFi connectivity

Interesting; on my HP DV5 it was the HP drivers which kept kicking me off my work network. However, the Intel drivers fixed it for me; so I thought same may work here.

clarification

i have internet connectivity. what i don't have is anything at all in the networking folder or any way to see what wireless networks are available. i also get these configfree errors on startup, without starting any software, 'this program only works for a toshiba system'.

i have internet connectivity. what i don't have is anything at all in the networking folder
my network places => Entire Network => Microsoft Windows Network => to your Workgroup name
or any way to see what wireless networks are available.
Network Connections => then either Local Area Connection OR Wireless Network Connection (and click Refresh List)

As I'm not a part of a workgroup the first option brings me to 'mshome', after searching in that folder for a minute. clicking on mshome gives me 'mshome is not accessible. you might not have permission to use the network resource...'

Network Connections => then either Local Area Connection OR Wireless Network Connection (and click Refresh List) gives me an empty Networking folder, no way to see or refresh any networks, Local Area Connections etc.

Also a right mouse click in Networking, choosing refresh,gives me this, 'The Network Connections Folder was unable to retrieve the list of Network adapters on your machine. Please make sure that the Network Connections service is enabled and running.'

checking services...the only network services disabled are 'network dde', and 'network dde dsdm'.

1. windows xp,
  2. tablet pc edition 2005,
  3. version 2002, sp3
  4. toshiba satellite, r15-s822
hmm system count = 3 or 4

and you're really trying to get Print/File sharing to work?
Solve P/Fs for XP, Win2002 and that will lead to the settings for the Toshiba
(enable sharing, firewall settings, workgroup name consistency)

just trying to see available wireless networks. and wondering why the message when refreshing the networking folder. i haven't tried any printer or folder sharing. can you be specific as to what i should do?

error messages are obscure at best and sometimes while sounding like the world is coming to an end, they can be due to simple configuration issues.

a) if you don't need P/FS, then your done; (the adage is "if it isn't broken, don't fix it :) )
b) until the Win/7 improved firewall, enabling P/FS is a real risk and it takes a 3rd party
FW to be able to configure P/FS so it is safe -- especially on a laptop.
c) if it isn't broken, don't fix it

there was/is a 3rd party firewall installed. this laptop has been used remotely through a connection with logmein, an online service where a friend helped with tech support. so i don't know what p/f sharing settings needed to be changed. windows firewall service is started. i still don't know how to see any wireless networks though, is there an add-on that would help me to see what is available?

it isn't installed at present, it is called ezfirewall, a toshiba product.

in windows firewall, advanced tab, i see 'the network settings have become corrupted. to fix this click restore defaults. this will delete all of your settings for windows firewall, and it might cause some programs to stop working.'

in exceptions i do not have p/f sharing checked, but have 2 'configfree summit engine' items checked, no check on uPnP framework. check on 'remote assistance' and 'microsoft management console'.

hmm; LogMeIn is a remote access system with requirements from your router and firewall.

I don't think it wise to enable P/FS under this condition so I'm bowing out; sorry.

... try reinstalling the Common Support package ...

It has the ConfigFree utility in it

i went to toshiba's site and got the configfree that was right for my satellite and reinstalled after an uninstall. is the common support package also on their site for certain laptop models?

i went to toshiba's site and got the configfree that was right for my satellite and reinstalled after an uninstall. is the common support package also on their site for certain laptop models?
yes it is, but it addresses only the connectivity issue, not P/FS or firewall settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back