Toshiba screen swap

surfersaiyan

hi guys,

i have a dead Satellite M30 series from one friend (i posted about it before) and another friend with an M100 with a cracked display.

so i'm just wondering if the displays are swappable; if i can transplant the screen from the dead M30 to the otherwise good M100 since they're the same size and aspect.

cheers in advance,

the saiyan

The power socket and the ribbon cable plug must be the same.
You can sometimes tell by reading the "for sale" items on eBay that describe Toshiba screens that are for sael.
You cannot tell for sure until you try... first, check the measures from bottom left to top right corner.
If those sizes are identical, you can remove the broken screen and take down the model, brand, and performance info from the label on the back. But you will have to match those details with those of the good screen.
First, you have to be sure the ribbon cable that connects the screen to the motherboard is the same, and they usually are... but can vary widely.
Then, Two items are very important... the size and socket on the inverter (about the size and shape of a ball point pen... perhaps longer) which is at the bottom and behind the screen. Be sure you use the inverter that comes with the good screen.
You cannot depend on brands being different... because there are many, many brands and models of screens that may fit either computer...
To do all this, you will need to disassemble both computers. It can be tricky to find all the screws, because they are covered by rubber plugs or rubberized flat screw covers. Usually a flat blade #0 screwdriver will be useful in removing these covers. Remove them VERY carefully so they do not tear apart, then be sure you have a good rubberized adhesive to stick them back on afterward.
There can be as few as eight screws, or as many as 24 screws, and yet still have both screens fit... The two parts of the screen cover or moulding fit together like a clam shell, but how they are held together may mean different screw sizes... so label each screw and keep them in an order that can help you in re-assembly.
Once you get the damaged screen out, you are mostly home because you have learned most of what you need to know.
Then if that bad screen is not the right fit, you can often buy one on eBay or from a computer parts supply house.
Were it my project, I would buy a new inverter for the good screen... They are usually around $5.95 to $9.95 on eBay, or $25 from Toshiba.
Your first screen exchange will probably take three to four hours... but your next one will take less than 20 minutes. It is suprising how easily the job is done once you learn how.
Good luck. Tell us how it goes.

no worries, sounds like fun!
i've had my own tosh right down a number of times (stupid fans!), so it should be in the 20minutes range if the screens are compatible.
i guess i was just fishing to see if anyone actually knew if they are swappable.
i'll do a bit of digging online but failing that i'll just strip em and see how it looks.
cheers..

Back