TechSpot

Toshiba Touchpad won't turn off!

By spartanslayer
Jan 14, 2006
  1. My uncle has a toshiba laptop. He hates the touchpad, but can't figure out how to disable it. He uninstalled the software, but it still works. Does anyone know how to turn off a toshiba touchpad? Please Help! Thanks.

2. bbdude

bbdude TS Rookie Posts: 18

Try going through Device Manager to see if it is listed. If it is, right click --> disable.

3. pretendo

pretendo TS Rookie

maby control panel mouse or maby control panel hardware or right click mycomputer properties hardware device manager and look around there

4. KingCody

KingCody TS Guru Posts: 1,568   +7

in some laptops, when a mouse is connected, you only have control panel accesss to the mouse properties. Unplug the mouse, reboot the computer, goto mouse control panel, pointing devices, select touchpad, click "disable this device" or something like that. plug the mouse back in (if the mouse is not USB, you may have to reboot to get the mouse to work after that)

5. spartanslayer

spartanslayer TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 464

Thanks guys, will do when I see my uncle next.

6. stupidfrog

stupidfrog TS Rookie

but mouse reactivates automatically...

hi!

i have the same "crazy mouse jumping all over that drives me crazy" problem.
    i understand how to disable the trackpoint, and i ve done it, but when i restart the computer (toshiba too), it detects "a new device" (that trackpoint mouse) and...reinstalls it automatically..!!
    any way how to disable automatic reinstallation? it s under windows XP.

thanks a lot!

7. nhosburg

nhosburg TS Rookie

Touchpad turn-off

Right-click on Synaptics Pointing Device icon in lower right of screen.

-pointing device properties
    -device settings tab
    -disable synaptics touchpad
    -apply
    -ok

you're done!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.