Touchpad doesn't work until I reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a Dell Latitude XT and installed windows vista Ultimate on it.
Every time i shutdown; put it on standby; hibernate; etc... for longer than 10mins, the touch pad doesn't work. I have to use the touchscreen to navigate around. I checked the device manager when the mouse doesn't respond, and it is not listed in there. After i reboot my computer, sometimes ones or more, my mouse works again. Could anyone help me?

Thank you very much!

To avoid the inevitable what's next replies

I'll suggest a few in order of posiibilities

You may have a faulty Touchpad driver installed
Go to Start->Run-> Devmgmt.msc
And remove any Touchpad drivers (make sure you have a USB mouse plugged in, so as to navigate to restarting the computer, once the Touchpad drivers have been removed)

You may have software installed interfering with your Mouse Touchpad (ie Internet Security; User Defined Mouse settings; Virtual Software; Keyboard or phone software; there could be many more here)
Have a look what's running in Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del) sometimes by checking here innitially you can see which process is running the most resource.
Also go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall any not required software

You may have a Virus\Malware infection, have a look at these steps to take:
Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

You may have faulty Ram, please do a Memtest on it to confirm ok

You may have a very poorly defraged HardDrive, or your drive may be full
Please run Defrag

You may have corruption in Windows itself
Please run sfc /scannow from Start->Run->cmd Command line

Failing (or rather passing) all this, the last option is you may in fact have a faulty Touchpad.
You could ofcourse decide not to put the laptop into standby; hibernate mode, to avoid losing the Touchpad response

That may keep you busy :)
Please let me know the outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back