TechSpot

TouchPad fire sale continues, industry responds to HP's news

By Matthew
Aug 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. HP has been the subject of many headlines over the last few days as folks attempt to unravel the many questions surrounding the mega-vendor's decision to halt its webOS projects…

Read the whole story

2. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

Meh. HP seems to have royally intercoursed this whole situation from buying Palm to this day. And all and all, they had a really good product on their hands, they just kept making tons of mistakes with it.

3. I managed to grab one from Amazon late Sunday at the $99 price point, there were only 4 left.

4. Raswan

Raswan TS Enthusiast Posts: 279

Should be a good toy to play with. Enjoy it. Kinda wished I'd picked one up.

5. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 908   +384

100 to 150 bucks is a GREAT price point. Maybe they can get the price down on every brand one day.

6. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,315   +133

I know someone who got the $99 deal. I am not jealous.

7. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Evangelist Posts: 991   +90

Sold out where I live with in the first few hours of stores being open on Saturday.

8. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,106   +97

I'm still keeping my eyes open for a 16gb model. From what I understand there are still a lot of touchpads up for grabs.

9. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

While I agree the price is quite tempting, the truth is these products have bee discontinued; any bugs or requested features will never be fixed/implemented. Personally, I would never invest on a dead product.

Although, if somebody sold it to me for $50, I wouldn't hesitate much. ;)

10. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 5,266   +92

I should have mentioned this in the post, but people are working to get Android running on the TouchPad: http://www.touch-droid.com/

11. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,106   +97

I read about that as well. Ubuntu also runs on the Touchpad, in a limited capacity at the moment, but it still works.

12. matrix86

matrix86 TS Guru Posts: 812   +26

+1 on this. I want one of these so bad, but buying a product that will have no support? No thanks. I've got better things to waste my money on...like the hopeful new nexus phone or one of the other Android 4.0 phones :p

13. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Guru Posts: 446   +17

You do realise "intercourse" means communication between two people, do you not?

:/…

14. I think that was the point!

15. I think that the reaction to the fire sale shows what HP and most other tablet manufacturers are missing. Most of us want a a quality tablet at an affordable price. Maybe HP should reverse their decision to pull out of the market and instead sell it at a low price and make their money by taking a cut on apps and maybe charging for WebOS upgrades. Just a thought...

16. dedparrot

dedparrot TS Rookie Posts: 67

I can't seem to justify the purchase even at £90

17. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,387   +105

Cheap deals drive people to buy more than one. Considering how much the unit sold for. Some thing Android will work on this, but you forget to think will the drivers work? The craze is ended well for now!

18. coolazeem

coolazeem TS Rookie Posts: 21

This awful touchpad drawing is of the rare WHITE one....It can also be viewed as a drawing of a 32GB Touchpad! Current Bid is US $90,100.00...ROFL!!!!
    http://r.ebay.com/Xb8mYu