Tracing an IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

FooDew13

I need a way to find out who is behind an IP address. They left a nasty comment on my site and I want to know who it is. Anyone have an idea of how I can do this for free?

You find out what ISP this IP address belongs to.
Doing a traceroute on it is the first step. This way you could even find out if the IP belongs to some company/institution or if it is a home user.

Then you call the ISP and ask them to whom this address was assigned to at the time of posting the comment. You need to give them a very good reason to give out that information though. Especially with this RIAA thing going on.

to do a reverse lookup and find the DNS name of the IP

ping -a 192.168.0.1

where 192.168.0.1 is the IP.

perform a traceroute :

tracert 192.168.0.1

where 192.168.0.1 is the IP.

Some of this may give you a clue as to the ISP of the user. If you are serious about taking some action, call the ISP and complain. If they are using static IPs, they will know right away who did this. If not, they will probably be able to look up which user account was assigned that IP at that time. So you need to know the time that this happened. They may be able to warn or ban the user. That's the best you can do, but even pulling this off may be difficult.

Thanks much for the replies, it's definitely not worthy of calling the ISP, but some good things to know for the future. I at least found out the city they're from, which elimantes most of the people I thought it might be. Thanks again.

you could always send them nasty msgs thru net sent cmd in windows if you know how that works and have their IP, assuming it's a staic IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back