1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Tracking your stolen laptop

By Wendig0 ยท 8 replies
Oct 21, 2008
  1. God forbid this ever happens to you, but it does happen many times every day. You're at the airport, or a coffee shop, and you turn your back for a moment. When you turn back around your laptop is gone. Stolen.

I've searched many different makers of laptop tracking software, and found most to be fairly expensive in today's struggling economy. I found this one here recently, and tested it out with very satisfying results. I urge anyone in the market for laptop tracking software to give this open source version a try.

http://adeona.cs.washington.edu/index.html

Wendig0

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,246   +235

You could chain it to your wrist too :)

3. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 1,117   +117

I thought about that, but figured it would attract Ninja assassins. :rolleyes:

4. Zsj

Zsj TS Rookie Posts: 84

you could hide a tracking sensor inside of it :)
    and use a GPS to track it :)

5. Wendig0

That's just what the Ninjas would expect you to do. Besides, this is free software ;)

6. kristant

kristant TS Rookie

cool!

Thanks for the advice... I have had my laptop for a year now and wish I would have bought the low jack add on for three years instead of one, as I have been searching for something reasonable.

K

7. Wendig0

You're very welcome. I was hoping that someone else might be able to benefit from it :)

8. Leffememer

Leffememer TS Rookie

I'm wondering if this would work with gps

9. Wendig0

That's very possible. It is open source, so even if it doesn't, if you have any programming knowledge you could try developing it.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.