Transfer data to new PC

JDJD

Hey Guys,

I'm getting a new PC today.

I was wondering how I would go about transferring all my files from my old computer to the new one. Is it just a matter of hooking up the two pcs with a usb? Will my new computer recognize the new pc just like it would an external hardrive?

Any other new advice for the new PC would be more than appreciated.

Thanks.

Which OS? Which files do you want to transfer? Do you have a home network?

Windows 7

Basically I want to get my mp3 files from my old pc to my new pc. I thought I would just be able to use a usb but I need another cable.

I've seen Computer to computer USB's, they look fine, you should go ahead and try it.
Else, i'd go with what I think JMMD is thinking, and share them over the home network.

Thanks a lot for your feedback guys. I'm not really into the whole home networking thing so ill just goe with the usb.

I know the one method to transfer the data to new P.C The USB transfer. USB ports and devices are increasingly popular, so users can transfer files from one computer to another computer using a variety of USB options. Or you may try this one also Data Networks. If you have a network configuration or plan on creating a network, you should definitely consider transferring and sharing of data files on the local network. This is the fastest way to transfer files between computers, and once setup you will continue to share files.

A PL-25A1 Hi-Speed USB Easy Transfer Cable might do the job in conjunction with Windows
Easy Transfer
program, as suggested by LookingAround.

The Easy Transfer Cable is especially designed to work with the following programs:
Microsoft Windows Easy Transfer for Windows 7/Vista/XP
Windows Easy Transfer (WET) program allows you to easily migrate all your files and program settings from your old Windows PC to your new Windows PC:
Windows XP or Vista PC to Windows Vista PC;
Windows XP or Vista or 7 PC to Windows 7 PC
Automatically copy your files, photos, music, emails, settings, and other files to your new Windows Vista or 7 PC easily. For more information, go to this website:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/easytransfer.mspx
Prolific PCLinq3 for Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000/ME/98SE
PCLinq3 is a user-friendly file manager program that allows you to see and control file directories on both PCs at the same time. You can easily drag-and-drop or cut-and-paste files and folders between PCs as well as creating new folders and changing file attributes. PCLinq3 is designed to be used in addition to Windows Easy Transfer program/drivers for Windows 7, Vista and XP. PCLinq3 can also work separate

http://www.prolific.com.tw/support/files/\IO Cable\PL-25A1\Manual\um_pl25A1_v1.1.pdf

Hey thanks a lot for the link ravi.

I'm going to Fry's today to pick up a cable. I can figure it out from there and i will ask the guys over at the store for input.

Actually, I was also considering trying to hook up a home wireless network.

Can I hook up a wireless home network with a pc that has Windows 7 and one that has Windows XP?

Ok one more thing guys. I went to check out Windows 7 transfer cables and they are outrageously overpriced. I'm totally going to try the network transfer. I just have one more question and it might be the simplest one.

How do I find out if my Dell 4550 running Windows XP is 32 bit or 64 bit?

It asks this on the windows easy transfer page.

It's been a while since I've had that computer so I have no idea.

Back