TechSpot

Transfer data to new PC

By JDJD
Aug 6, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hey Guys,

I'm getting a new PC today.

I was wondering how I would go about transferring all my files from my old computer to the new one. Is it just a matter of hooking up the two pcs with a usb? Will my new computer recognize the new pc just like it would an external hardrive?

Any other new advice for the new PC would be more than appreciated.

Thanks.

2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

Which OS? Which files do you want to transfer? Do you have a home network?

3. JDJD

JDJD TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 28

Windows 7

Basically I want to get my mp3 files from my old pc to my new pc. I thought I would just be able to use a usb but I need another cable.

4. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,373   +167

5. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,370   +125

I've seen Computer to computer USB's, they look fine, you should go ahead and try it.
    Else, i'd go with what I think JMMD is thinking, and share them over the home network.

6. JDJD

Thanks a lot for your feedback guys. I'm not really into the whole home networking thing so ill just goe with the usb.

7. princealway

princealway TS Rookie

I know the one method to transfer the data to new P.C The USB transfer. USB ports and devices are increasingly popular, so users can transfer files from one computer to another computer using a variety of USB options. Or you may try this one also Data Networks. If you have a network configuration or plan on creating a network, you should definitely consider transferring and sharing of data files on the local network. This is the fastest way to transfer files between computers, and once setup you will continue to share files.

8. ravisunny2

ravisunny2 TS Ambassador Posts: 2,057   +8

A PL-25A1 Hi-Speed USB Easy Transfer Cable might do the job in conjunction with Windows
    Easy Transfer
    program, as suggested by LookingAround.

http://www.prolific.com.tw/support/files/\IO Cable\PL-25A1\Manual\um_pl25A1_v1.1.pdf

9. JDJD

Ok thanks guys.

10. ravisunny2

ravisunny2 TS Ambassador Posts: 2,057   +8

11. JDJD

Hey thanks a lot for the link ravi.

I'm going to Fry's today to pick up a cable. I can figure it out from there and i will ask the guys over at the store for input.

Actually, I was also considering trying to hook up a home wireless network.

Can I hook up a wireless home network with a pc that has Windows 7 and one that has Windows XP?

12. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

Yes.

13. hughva

hughva TS Rookie Posts: 309

14. JDJD

Thanks Again 4 All The Help Guys.

15. JDJD

Ok one more thing guys. I went to check out Windows 7 transfer cables and they are outrageously overpriced. I'm totally going to try the network transfer. I just have one more question and it might be the simplest one.

How do I find out if my Dell 4550 running Windows XP is 32 bit or 64 bit?

It asks this on the windows easy transfer page.

It's been a while since I've had that computer so I have no idea.

16. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,373   +167

17. JDJD

Thanks A Lot Lookin.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.